First play of the day, 3 seconds then stops?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Server: Windows 10 - AMD 3600X - 32GB Ram Roon 1.7 (build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Eithernet at server - wifi on remote

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NAD 758 v3 and Node 2

Description Of Issue

For months now I’ve lived with this and tonight I finally decided to report it and see if someone else can help. It feels like the first play of every day the first track played will be fine for 3 seconds (always 3 seconds) and then stop. I then have to click play again and it’ll play fine and play fine for the rest of the session.

It’s repeatable and very annoying in a dripping tap kind of way!!

Anoyone who can help will be my best friend for life, if they want to be :slight_smile:

Hey @Andy_Merrill1,

Thanks for reaching out, we can certainly take a look at this issue!

Can you confirm that the issue occurs for both of these zones, or just one of them in particular?
If you try to start playback to your Core’s System Output zone, does that work as expected?

What is the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear?

Hi Noris,

Thanks for getting in touch, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It seems to happen on whichever one I start an album on first thing. I use the NAD 758 v3 in the lounge and the Node 2 in the home office so week days that’ll be the Node 2 first and the 758 at weekends generally.

I use both the Android app or desktop apps (windows and Mac) and bit both do the 3 second things.

What I don’t understand is how it knows it’s a new day :slight_smile: The server (Windows 10) is always on, so unless its a drive going to sleep (something I’ll look at) but the server and database are on a M2 SSD so that won’t power down, I have some music files on a hybrid drive so its possible that goes to sleep i guess.

Because of the “next day” frequency it’s hard to create a setup that I can hammer the issue and find the problem through brute force.

I never used to see this when I ran a mac and Linux based servers so there is a big clue I guess.

Networking: Very simple set up, currently using a Fritz Box 7520 router that the server is directly connected to and then the end points and remotes are all wifi (although i saw this issue when the 758 was wired to the network as well).

Last month, the hub was changed from a BT home hub (BT uk telecoms company brand) and the issue was seen previously on the old hub so I don’t think this is network related.

The move to Windows 10, back in May seems to the starting point of the problem, it’s not a biggy but very like a dripping tap, it’s annoying to have to sometimes press play again once you’ve pressed play on they album you have already pressed play on.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Andy

Hi @Andy_Merrill1,

Thanks for those additional details!

Can you please let me know the exact local time + date + track you experience the issue next on? After I have this timestamp, I can enable diagnostics mode and see if logs contain further clues, thanks!

Hello,

8:43 UTC/GMT this morning 10th November 2020.

Went to play the album in the screenshot attached and 2/3 seconds play stopped.

This is on the NAD 758v3 which was powered up (from standby) for about 30 mins beforehand.

Pressing play again allowed the track to continue as normal.

Please feel free to dig into my logs.

Andy

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Merrill1,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps. I’ve enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this should have done is automatically deliver a log set to us, but unfortunately I’m not seeing this report arrive. Can you please use these instructions to send me a manual log set from the Core (RoonServer)?

Hi,

Earlier I sent the logs as requested, but just to let you know I had another incident at 22:12 UTC/GMT this evening. Again this was when starting playing an album on the NAD 758.

if you can now get to my latest logs you might see a pattern between the two reported events?

If you need me to send the latest logs as well just ask and I’ll sort tomorrow.

Good hunting!

1 Like

Thanks for sending those logs over @Andy_Merrill1, let me get them to our team for closer inspection!

Hi Noris, Any luck?

Since I’ve heard nothing on this in a while I decided to quit Roon.

In a last attempt, I fully uninstalled Roon, created a new account under the current $1 for 3 months, re:installed Roon server and hooked it upder the new account and my existing Qobuz. All the same hardware and network as before and…

No problems so far… Just works like it should, so I’m guessing there was something in the previous accounts settings or database that was causing “daily stop after 3 seconds” weird huh!!!

Hate these sort of fixes but I’ll take it and hopefully we’ll get to the other end of the 3 months in tact.

If you ever find out what it was it would be great to close the case.

Hi @Andy_Merrill1,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here.

We took a look over your previous logs and we could not locate any patterns to the behavior, on the Roon log side of things, the tracks appeared to be starting properly and there were no error messages.

Since the issue is gone since starting with a fresh database, it’s hard to say why the issue occurred, it could have been a DSP setting in your previous database which was causing this behavior.

In any case, if the issue is not reproducible any longer, there is not much that we can do to troubleshoot further. If you notice this issue re-occur, please let us know and we can pick this back up, thanks!

Thanks for your note and help, will do.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Node 2 - Plays a few seconds then stops

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.