Fixed volume on cxn audio zone

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

mac desktop

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

cambridge audio connected via LAN

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cambridge Audio CXN is roon ready

Description Of Issue

volume is fixed on roon ready cambridge audio cxn is it possible to alter ?

Hi @Gregory_Totman,

You can set the Volume Control type in `Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cogwheel icon next to zone -> Device Setup -> Volume Control.

thanks for that yet the changes to the device volume in the device set-up has no effect on the audio zone !
Interesting the screen shot i have for the audio zone has no exclusive mode control ? does that make any difference ?

Hi @Gregory_Totman,

No, Roon Ready devices are by default always in Exclusive Mode.

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you have the option to set Device Volume or DSP Volume there? After you set your zone to Device Volume or DSP Volume, you should then be able to control the volume from within the bottom right-hand corner of Roon, after pressing the “speaker icon”.

Noris
What I mean is the audio set-up for the device in Roon displays the option for fixed volume or device volume . The problem is the changes do not apply for the cambridge CXN music streamer . No fault to Roon for not facilitating the option in the device set-up . It just doesn’t work .
I suspect the problem is with Cambridge Audio which I will contact their support team to ask the question .
It is only recently that Cambridge Audio made the device 'Roon Ready ’ as opposed to 'Roon Capable '. I have read other threads on Roon which some other Roon users are experiencing the same problem .
I purchased the streamer on the basis it is now roon ready and apart from this small glitch it works well and sounds great .
I was using a mac laptop as a Roon endpoint and had nothing but problems with drop outs and track skipping.
Thanks for your help thus far . greg

Hello @Gregory_Totman,

The “Volume Control” setting in Device Setup does not modify the settings on the device. Its purpose is to change the volume control that is exposed in the Roon application.

In the case of the Cambridge CXN, setting the “Volume Control” option to “Fixed Volume” is—in plain English—equivalent to “Don’t allow Roon to change the volume of the device”.

If you disable the volume control on the CXN itself, it will correctly report to Roon that there is no volume control available. In this case Roon will also display “Volume control is fixed” when “Device Controls” is selected.

-John