Fixing Android App's lack of fast scroll

ps… hopefully you can overcome the rough edges. It’s a work in progress. If you can click with Roon, it’s a wonderful tool and there’s a healthy development and feedback programme going in this community.

Perhabs I’ll give it another try, I don’t know. I played with about two hours and it doesn’t feel like an improvement. Instead it annoyed me, you are right, the scrolling is really bad, stops to quickly, not fluet, not smooth. I was looking for some improvement over Sonos, just the app, the system is ok, but Roon seems not to be the solution to me…

It all depends upon what you are looking for in a player. Sonos is a non-starter for me as I need higher quality playback and my library exceeds their track limit.

With Roon, I use my Android phone mainly as a quick control mechanism or as an endpoint with headphones. For browsing like you are describing, I usually do that with a tablet. If you know the type of music you want to listen to then you might try narrowing down your browse by first going to the genre you are thinking about playing and then browsing. No point in scrolling past Judas Priest albums if you are looking for something Classical. :smiley:

Also, I have my albums set to view by most recent added. Since, I tend to listen more to music I’ve added recently scrolling is usually never more than a couple of screens, unless I really want to dig into my collection.

This may be workable if you only have Roon output in one location and able to keep a dedicated tablet there (without anyone in the house moving it to a different location. I have roon outputs in several locations, and I find that our tablet tends to roam about the house and no one except me keeps the short lived battery of the ageing tablet charged. So I find many times I just have my charged, speedy Pixel 2 android phone as my only workable option. Except “workable” is not a word I can use to describe the Roon app.

It is clearly possible to provide for quick scrolling in a Android phone. Quick scrolling in a Android phone has been requested from almost the beginning of Roon. It is clearly time to address this issue.

I would hope it might be addressed as part of the Android app rework the devs mentioned.

I don’t browse my library often that way but tried it and yeah, yuck. Lack of fast scrolling quickly becomes an issue after only a couple dozen albums. It’s been like two years? Android app also has some stability issues and lack of Focus and editing. I’m on the trial and absolutely love Roon, and its potential, but the Android apps are holding Roon back from total greatness at the moment.

I’m on the fence given the price tag, but with a new improved Android app, or even the promise of one with some concrete details or like a roadmap with some ballpark timeframes, and you can sign me up for life right now. It would be a no-brainer. I mean I’m probably gonna do it, but a better Android experience would totally obliterate any potential for buyer’s remorse. My intention is to have an Android tablet in my LR as a dedicated Roon remote. Would be nice to have full functionality. Good to hear about a rework but I haven’t seen much in the way of details. What they have created so far is wonderful so I’m sure it’s possible to get it just that much better.

Scrolling in Lyrics is broken on Android 7.1 Zoomtak Android box I have here, tried two different mice.

This is in Full Screen Remote mode.

You can display the lyrics, but can’t scroll them. (Obviously handhelds work fine with touch - tested Huawei Mate 10). Windows 10, no issues.

Also, wish we could get Roon Displays simply as a button in remote; there are no full screen Web browsers in Android that are Roon Ready.

Roon has been pretty steadfast in their unwillingness to address the basic functionality of the Roon Android app. I’ve been asking about it for two years, they clearly don’t care.

1 Like

has anyone tested Chromecast as a display?

Does it do fullscreen?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Displays#Compatible_Devices

Roon 1.6! Roon has done yet another “major” upgrade without fixing this most basic flaw. Amazing.

2 Likes

Adding my voice to this one too. I’m just trialling Roon, and if this is a sign that Android is the poor neglected cousin then it doesn’t bode well.

Andrew all I can say is that I and others have been after Roon since the very beginning (about three years) to fix this and it’s not happened.

Thanks David, though obviously not what I was hoping to hear.

Am I right in thinking that I can’t even filter for favourites? I understand that focus isn’t available in small screens, but I’d have thought something so simple would be available as its own navigation item.

Correct. You can, however, use tags or bookmarks to achieve that; though you would need a tablet or PC to set them up.

Since it launched in 2015, you mean five years.

I’ve decided not to adopt Roon after the trial period, chiefly for this reason.

I’ve switched to Logitech music server. I have Antipodes gear, and they have tweaked a version of LMS that sounds much better than Roon, which I won’t be renewing when expires in September. Happy listening.