FLAC 1.4.2 Support?

Hi

The latest version of FLAC was released a few weeks ago. Among the new features is 32 bit encoding, and higher sample rate handling.

Details here: FLAC - FLAC 1.4.1 released

It would be great if Roon could support this! Is there any prospect this is possible? Thanks.

Timing is perfect, FLAC 1.4.2 was released today to address a minor issue with playback and possible libFLAC users. I updated your title.

Cheers! Appreciated.

1 Like

Is there any progress on this? It is astonishing that not only are new formats not added (such as WavPack), but even the latest versions of already “supported” formats such as FLAC, are not supported, even after many months of its release!

This is not something that people should have to beg for because it’s not a new feature: it should be part of regular maintenance updates. Otherwise, it’s dishonest of Roon to say that they support FLAC, they should clarify on their format support page that they only support an old version of FLAC.

1 Like

Absolutely right. Come on, Roon. Your users shouldn’t have to beg you to support the latest FLAC versions.

1 Like

Agreed.

Some time ago, I expressed interest in WavPack support because I use pre-upscaled files (using PGGB) with a bitrate of 384K or greater and sometimes with 24 or 32 bitdepth. The CTO replied with some incredulity, something to the effect of “Why would you even bother doing that?” (my paraphrasing, of course). This was unappreciated.

Nevertheless, here’s to hoping that they do add support for some high-bitrate file format. FLAC 1.2 would be ideal.

I use PGGB as well. You may be interested to know that ALAC (i.e., Apple Lossless) unexpectedly saves the day. It had support for 32/384 before FLAC, and Roon actually plays 32-bit ALAC files. It works for me because my PGGB format is 32/384. Unfortunately I don’t think 768 is supported. As far as I know, this is the only way currently to play 32-bit files in Roon in any format other than WAV/WAV64. I use xrecode to encode to ALAC.

1 Like