Flicking in Windows Application

When interfacing with the application (Windows 10) and playing music through a DAC the application has this weird “flickering” behavior. Almost as if it’s trying to run at a lower FPS.

I’ve attempted the KCS search and no hits so far. I really appreciate the help.

Roon 1.8 (build 933) stable

What is your configuration of the Core and the PC you are using? Do you have the most recent W10 updates installed, as well as the latest video drivers direct from the OEM of your video card(s)? To what, and how is the DAC connected USB, network or something else? And does this flickering occur only with a specific DAC connected or in general?

The Roon core is running on the same PC i’m interfacing with.

If there is a place to export my config please let me know and I can provide that.

Latest drivers for PC hardware and software.

USB connection (Schiit Jotunheim)

Flicking occurs all the time when the application is “in focus”. I open another application and make that primary in focus then the flickering stops.

Under Windows Settings from the Start menu (the icon will be a gear), there is a screen under System → About that provides some basic information on your PC. Can you take a screenshot of the About and post that? Do you have any information about your graphics card (e.g., integrated Intel graphics, or separate AMD or NVIDIA graphics card)?

Intel(R) Core™ i7-10700K
32.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 19044.1645
nVidia EVGA 3080 - Latest drivers

So this has been ongoing even with older hardware in the past. So it’s not a hardware issue.

End goal will be to have this running on a dedicated server. Doing that would eliminate all of these challenges.

Questions:
Does Roon only run at 59Hz-60Hz (FPS) ?

If so then why does the screen flicker seem like color changes ?

Has anyone else experienced this ?

You definitely have a strong machine for Roon. I can’t answer the FPS question (not sure if Roon scales below 50 Hz or above 60). Are your running any other programs while Roon is playing, and specifically any other graphics-heavy applications?

Chrome and basic computer applications. Nothing demanding of the system.

Even lowering the Refresh rate of the monitor does not help.

I’ll tag @support for assistance.

1 Like

Hi @BruhMan,

I appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. I’ve moved this thread over to #support for efficiency and clarity.

If the flickering is visible on video, are you able to record about 10-20 seconds we can investigate? Here’s a link you can use to upload the video.

In addition, would you please try setting aside the database and starting with a fresh one? It’s best to create a backup first. I’ve pasted instructions below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Please let me know if the database reset changes the behavior you’re experiencing. I’ll keep an eye out for your response.

2 Likes

Hi Connor,

I’ll give this a shot to see if it resolves.

Might take me some time to get around to taking these actions.

I really appreciate the support.

Kind Regards,
Brandon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.