Focal Arche DAC Playback Crashes with Mixed Sampling Rates and Bit Rates (ref#VAVT4R)

What best describes your playback issue?

· Music stops playing mid-track

Is there a specific error message you see? If so, please select from the following options:

· Other

Please try to reboot your Roon Server and check to see if this helps.

· Rebooting my Server had no effect, the issue remains

Please try to reboot and unplug/replug in your affected audio device and check to see if this helps.

· Rebooting and unplugging/replugging my audio device, the issue remains

Please open your Roon Remote and select the "System Output" Zone and try to play to it. Do you encounter any playback errors with this Zone?

· Playback *errors for both* my other zone and when I play to System Output as well

Please try fully rebooting your network equipment

· No, I'm still having trouble

An issue with playback on System Output and another zone often indicates a network security problem. *Check your firewall(s)* to ensure that *Roon*, *RoonServer *and *RAATServer* are allowed to properly communicate

· I'm still having problems / This isn't relevant to me

Does the issue happen with local library music, streaming service music, or both?

· Only local content affected, and I don't have any streaming services to test with

Where is your local content stored?

· On the same machine where RoonServer is running, internal drive

Please try playing content of a lower sample rate (44.1kHz or 48kHz), does this work as expected?

· No, lower sample rates are still affected

What is the model/manufacturer of the affected audio device(s) and the connection type?

· Connection via USB-A to USB-B to the Focal Arche.

Describe the issue

Good evening,

I would like to request some support regarding playback issues I'm having with my setup.

Setup:
Naim preamplifier
Naim amplifier
Focal Arche DAC
Mac book Air or Windows 10
Roon server on both.
Speakers/headphones connected to the setup.
File format: WAV
Sampling rates: 44.1, 48, 88, and 96
Bit rates: 16 or 24

I am using locally saved hi-res files acquired on Qobuz, not on streaming.

When I haven't used the Focal Arche for the past 1hour, it plays the music for 30-50min before crashing (mixed sampling rates and bit rates). Arche displays "no signal" on its screen. Restarting the Arche will not work, it crashes after 1 min ("no signal"). If I leave the Arche for 1h+hour, it will allow again 30-50min of playback with mixed sampling/bit rates.
This crash happens identically on both Roon and Audirvana, on both Mac and Windows.
Also, the crash doesn't happen on Windows Media Player.

I found the issue: the crashes are caused by files in 44 and 88khz sampling rates. If I only play files with 48 or 96 sampling rate, the system will not crash for hours (tested: 7.5 hours, not a single interruption, flawless continuous playback). But it will crash again if I launch files with 44 or 88khz.
The bit rates were mixed and had no effect in the successful test.
Once it crashes, it will not play any 44 or 88khz files, even if I unplug the cable or switch off/the Arche DAC (will instantly lose connection, "no signal"). Once it crashed and I unplug/plug the cable but this time quickly play a 48 or 96 file before the connection is lost ("no signal"), the music will play for hours.

I have tried to play around with the setting "max sampling rate" and exploring the rest of settings, but nothing helps.

Could you please support?
Additionally, would you consider possible an extension on my trial period, in order to have time to test the fixes you might suggest? That would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Kind regards,
Matt

Describe your network setup

Mac/PC connected to a standard modem (sent by the internet provider). All equipment pieces are in the same room, very close to the router (1.5meter)

I also tried both suggestions in this thread here, with no effect.

Hi @mattia.furer,

Thanks for writing in about your issue, and for your patience so far.

Have you shared your report with Focal directly? Based on your description above, the issue could be related to the device itself. Triple check that the DAC has the latest firmware update, and potentially reinstall it if so.

Can you share a screenshot of your signal path around the time of the crash? Please include the date, time, and name of track playing when the crash occurs as well.

Can you be more specific with what you’ve tested for these settings?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.