Follow up to recently closed topic - Roon loses network connection

Changing cables did not fix the issue. Can go anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours, then music becomes “unavailable” and playlist stops. Meanwhile all other network functions seem to be fine. Sonos playlists will run continuously without dropping, so it seems it either has to be Roon or the Sonic Transporter. Given that the problem started precisely when the infinite scanning problem began, and given the the kernel update fixed that issue, I’m still suspicious of a kernel problem.

Anything else I can try here to get Roon working again? Thank you

I assume you’ve tried the usual networking things?:

Reboot router
Apply reserved IP addresses for Core, endpoint, and storage, and all of these connected by ethernet (if feasible)
Use DNS servers from e.g. Cloudflare rather than default from ISP

Yes…but thank you for the suggestions. It is a new problem that began at the same time as the Linux kernel upgrade was needed. The upgrade fixed the constant scanning problem but network drops remain since that time. Drops can occur within an hour or up to several hours later, but Roon can no longer play a full or continuous playlist

i am having the same problem. roon has been perfect for the first 25 days. over the past 5 days it would just stop playing. sometimes i would have to reselect my audio zone as well.

nothing on my system has changed; no new software installations or deletions, no new hardware installations or deletions.

very frustrating!

hp laptop | ethernet | router | ethernet | b&w formation duos

Hello @Lawrence_Klein, and thanks for trying those suggestions. Next time the issue occurs, could you please reply here with a timestamp (in your local time) of when the issue occurred and the track that was playing at the time so I can enable diagnostics for your account? Thanks!

Thanks! Played for about 2 hrs and stopped /dropped about 9:49 PM today 11/25/20. All other network connections appeared in tact, I was actually streaming Netflix when it dropped.

PS this is based on the history showing last song in Roon playing an hour before. Is there a more accurate way to time stamp the precise moment of failure?

I caught it today fairly precisely at 7:28. It was just near the end of Coltrane Over and Over again when it dropped

Other network functions fine at this time including Sonos software working off same music servers

Screenshots below

Thank you

Hello @Lawrence_Klein,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Thank you. Not long till first episode after restarting occurred at 7:28 on 11/27. Screenshot attached of last complete play. Drop occurred during Summer Wages by Ian Tyson

And here’s another drop 11/29 at about 7:28 am

Screenshot of selection included. Thanks

11:46 on 11/29 with screenshots. Won’t send more unless you need them

. Thanks!

It’s pretty strange that multiple people are seeing this behavior.

As a relatively extreme test, I’m running Core (Roon Server) on a ten year old Acer netbook with music library on an external Western Digital Elements USB drive of similar vintage. This is playing out to a Raspberry Pi 4 (running VitOS) with two USB DACs grouped together in the same zone. All network connections are wired.

This test rig has been playing continuously for over sixteen hours with no issues so far. There’s a mix of music from the little HDD and streaming from TIDAL. If Roon works on this rickety old system, perhaps there’s hope getting things to work on nicer gear like the stuff from Small Green Computer.

1 Like

So from another post I tried disabling IGMP snooping on my ASUS routerand now Roon cant even play a single song without dropping so that is not the solution for my problem. For iGMP snooping off crashed Time stamp 12/3 10:58 Sloop John B or the song before that. Thanks

Anything in the logs? Thanks

Anything yet? Thanks

Fwiw Andrew at Small Green Computer says the Sonic Transporter has been working great with the Linux kernel upgrade. Says I need to contact Roon support for the problem…alas…is there any way to reach them besides the forum? Hmm my subscription expires in two weeks. Three months not working, two weeks no response from support re logs? As much as I love Roon I can not justify under these conditions…

Hello @Lawrence_Klein, my apologies for the delay on this issue. I have escalated this thread to our QA team which they have now opened an investigation into this issue. As soon as I have their feedback I’ll provide you with an update.

Thank you so much!