Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Passive Aperion Audio Verus Forte home theater speakers in my small living room. I thoroughly enjoy them in our modest system.
Aperion Audio Verus Forte

Active Audioengine HD6 in the office. They barely fit on my oversized desk but they’re fun.
zeitpress

2 Likes

Monitor Audio PL-300 (passive) and JL Audio F113 sub (active)

2 Likes

Great active speakers, I just got a pair last month.
Previously had the XD 200 for a year and a half.

What’s your setup?Cables, S/PDIF convertor etc…

1 Like

Passive Dali wall mount speakers used in 2.1 and 5.1 configurations with an SVS SB-4000 sub.

Fronts: Dali Rubicon LCR

Center: Dali Fazon LCR
Rears:Dali Fazon SAT
Sub: SVS SB-4000

1 Like

I also run Monitor Audio PL300s. The Devialet SAM profile takes the bass cleanly down to 16hz. Epic.

Regards Andrew

2 Likes

SPEAKING OF KIDS AND FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS…

Here’s a little anecdote. About 17 years ago, when my daughter was three years old, she decided to do her daddy a “favour”. So she took a cloth and “dusted” the tweeters of my then brandnew B&W 801. Well, both tweeters were extremely clean afterwards :joy:, but unfortunately one of them had a pretty bad dent. When I phoned my Hifi dealer to tell him the whole story, he nearly laughed his head off. About ten days later he dropped by and replaced the dented tweeter with a new one — for free (i.e. under “warranty”!). That’s what I call excellent service! :grinning:

As you can probably imagine, allusions to the “tweeter story” have become a very popular running gag in our family…

8 Likes

Passive: Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v5

2 Likes

I’m the second Linkwitz fan to post in this thread.

I have a pair of Orions that I built in 2004. See the last photo on this page for the speakers and their setting until 2016 when audio perfection ended – we left behind the best acoustic space ever when we moved.

The Orions are full range dipole speakers (f3=40Hz) with an active crossover and eight amps, each connected directly to a driver (or two tweeters). For kicks, there’s a 15" driver in a 4 cu.ft. sealed box.

The “best” room for listening in our new house is an echo tank, and after two years of a very sad listening existence (computer+Tascam monitors, headphones, small home theater w/ KEF Q speakers, and an Echo dot), I’m in the midst of getting the concert hall experience back by turning said room into a studio-like space.

Check out the balrog, my turntable. It’s still disassembled from the move. Well, not the 700lb granite and steel base.

-_Eric

1 Like

Hart Audio Evo 1, 12" Tannoy dual concentric, with active bass.
Beautiful clear sound, driving bass, love em

2 Likes

At the moment: Furutech FP-TCS21 based power cables, Audioquest Carbon coax cables and a Raspberry Pi3/ Allo DigiOne streamer. Just keeping it simple.

Hi Will,

your thread on “audio related anecdotes, jokes and cartoons” is really great! Thanks!!!

2 Likes

One pair of active Philips MFB 541 and 1 pair of active Philips MFB 544. Both pairs are about 40 years old and they sound very good. Second hand they are from €100 (541) to €150 (544) a pair. Best purchase ever!

3 Likes

An interesting lot of speakers in the crowd.

I’m on the AV committee for a church building remodel. Back when we were auditioning AV contractors, one of the candidates took us to a Danley Sound Labs audition at an area church family life center informal space. Think gym with a stage grafted onto the side. There we heard each of the Danley products normally sold for indoor use, Everything but the big mother Jericho horns. Everybody in attendance was taken with the Danley sound, especially the natural midrange and live music sound. Everything we heard was recorded other than the presenter’s narrative. The associated equipment included an Allen & Heath 4 channel mixer, Danley power amplifiers, and Telefunkin stage mic. Music was on a mix CD that spanned the gamut of genres.

The thing that struck me about the Danley products was the consistent voice up and down the product line. The stage monitors sounded exactly like the big hall-filling horns. Tom Danley designs his speakers to reproduce full range acoustic music and voice naturally without equalization. The designs are inherently phase coherent like the Dhalquists I described above. The only shortcoming noted in the audition were that the cymbals were largely missing but they may not have been present in the recordings used. Most Danleys reproduce well out to 22 kHz or so using compression drivers mated into the main horn. Most were 2 or 3 way with all drivers time aligned and all sound radiating from the single horn mouth. This is Danley’s secret sauce, physics, getting that horn right.

The Danley horns all have crossovers built in but can be bi-amped. The Danley amplifiers know the product line and will do the correct cross over filtering when used in a bi-amped configuration. The Danley amps have robust speaker management processing built in allowing them to be used in large scale applications without a speaker management processor. The Danley amps have both AES balanced line inputs and digital inputs (AES-3 or AES-67? haven’t checked)

I didn’t hear these in a stereo configuration. Most halls have mono audio reinforcement because the geometry is right for stereo in only a small cluster of seats. Because of the phase coherent design, they should image well.

Interestingly, a google search turned up at least one home theater system using the Danley SH-95 proposed for our hall in a stereo configuration. The author was a home theater person who also listened to music and gave the SH-95 top marks in his listening theater.

Both main sets are passive.
Shahinian Compass as my main speakers

Quad 11L as my office speakers - sitting on the desk on foam pads - ridiculous size for a desk but they were so cheap I couldn’t say no and the burr finish is beautiful.

Forgot about the kitchen Acoustic Energy aego m on top of the kitchen cupboards

1 Like

I’ve owned active speakers exclusively for the past 25 years or so after being a Wilson WATT/Puppy, WAMM, Sophia and Vandersteen Model 2, 3, and 5 owner - obviously not all at the same time. But I was an unrepentant audiophool going from system to system, each worth as much or more than my house. When I hit rock bottom of audiophooldom I got myself into active recovery and began shunning the amp/cable/speaker balancing act with passive speakers.

Early actives I turned to were from ATC, PMC and Meridian, each delivering outstanding results without complications and relieving the stress of component compatibility tradeoff decisions. Now fully recovered and living in a condo, I’ve reduced my audio footprint to three all-Genelec systems; a main 2-channel system using two Genelec 8050s (good to the mid-30Hz region), a dedicated 5.1 channel home theater system using three 8050s, two 8040s, and two Dynaudio Sub 300s, and a TV room using two Genelec 8030s.

Audio bliss in all three rooms, no more anxieties, no more stress over what to try next - cured! Why Genelec? Because I’ve owned and heard some of the best and Genelec fills those “shoes” better than any other “compact” active speakers I’ve tried. Done and done.

Bruce

Recently started dabbling in open baffle speakers with vintage full range zenith drivers. Struggled a little with the carpentry… Takes a little tweaking with parametric equalization in Roon to tame those beasts but the result is superb (SQ wise) !

5 Likes

Passive here.

Harbeth C7ES3’s in cherry.

Magnum Dynalab MD209 Receiver. Sources are the internal FM tuner (spectacular), RPi/DigiOne and Rega turntable. http://www.magnumdynalab.com/

Sounds fantastic.

Totem Mites in the office. Totem Mask’s in dining room. Son has Totem Arro’s and some PSB’s. Daugher has Elac B6’s. Of all the speakers other than the Harbeth’s, the B6’s might be the choice.

1 Like

Here passive as well. Von Schweikert VR-4 SR mkII, picture from the net.

3 Likes

For my desktop - Active
I have a pair of Altec Lansing Quad Channel system configured for Stereo. This is my favorite and also my daily go to.

For my Yamaha stereo amplifier - Passive
I have a pair of Klipsch Heresey III.

MD

2 Likes

Nice Kronzilla back there. Is it a stereo SX model?
And on the lowest shelf, is that something CJ?

Have seen this thread?
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/any-tube-heads-here/