Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Dynaudio actives. I usually keep them on stands but they are on bookshelves now to accommodate increased living room traffic over the holidays.

3 Likes

After I am a tube amp afficionado, my speakers are all passive

Horn Speakers:
hORNS Universum
Odeon 38/2
Odeon 32 (sold to a very good friend, I still listen to them almost weekly)
Living Voice AirScout
Odeon Midas

Dipole Planar Speakers:
Apogee Studio Grand
Apogee Scintilla (modified and completely overhauled, wonderful sound and aesthetics, sold to a very good friend, I can listen to them frequently, my wife’s favorite speakers, she hated me for selling them :flushed: )
Apogee Centaur Major (excellent, very underrated)
Acoustat Spectra 22
Quad ESL57 (sold to a good friend, my wife’s second favorite speakers, she hated me for selling them, but not as much as for selling the Scintillas :flushed: )

Here is a pic with Apogee Scintilla and Apogee Studio Grand (and Lamm M1.1):

7 Likes

KEF LS50W

Active here

5 Likes

had active Focal Alpha 50s hooked up to a Chord mojo for my home desktop. …loved em!
enjoyed the lack of cables and so many components around.
and i just recently sold them to one of the sound team of Bryan Adams here in pt coquitlam bc for his home desktop too
(he had a nice rig at his office)…pretty cool.
he was working the 2010 Vancouver olympics as a head sound engineer…and the bryan adams crew
approached him…he’s since been in over 35 countries…what a tale to share.

i also just got in the kef ls50w speakers (white) and matching white stands (setting up this wkend)
Just getting in an SVS SB2000 sub to add some bottom end (might go dual eventually).

i was looking into the newer Dynaudio XD Focus 20 series but really pricey at 3x the cost of the
kef’s that i got for a fab deal new.
https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/focus-xd/focus-20-xd

from Paul McGowan of PS Audio on why he loves the concept of active speakers:
enjoy:

4 Likes

I had to laugh, he is of course correct in all he says apart from the fact he forgot Meridian who have been making Excellent Active speakers from the get-go and then developed DSP actives to an extreme level.

Only recently are companies exploiting these ideas with success and this is pointing to the future of home audio. I’m thinking Devialet Bluesound etc.
Todays youngsters probably won’t want to choose power amps etc in the same way. The world has changed.

Meridian used to say ‘Hot Rod or Hi Fi’ in their promotion and played completely against the grain. I always liked the idea and understood it’s not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Thanks for posting that video.

3 Likes

I have the Vandersteen Treo CT’s. They are passive.

Here is the review I wrote about them from HiFi+ magazine.

1 Like

I’ve always been a passive speaker person. Currently, Vivid Audio Giya G3s as my main front pair which gives an extremely detailed open soundstage.

I have Vivid V1.5s as my rear speakers all driven by a Trinnov Altitude32\Amplitude 8 combo.

1 Like

I have passive speakers. They are Von Schweikert VR-5 HSE speakers linked up to a Hsu Research ULS-15 Mk 2 subwoofer. You can view the system in a recent review of mine at this link:

http://prairieaudiomancave.com/reviews–reports/mio-acoustic-weave-paperform-acoustic-tiles-review

There is a lot of synergy in that system.

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

1 Like

My living room is rather small. Music comes from a pair of KEF LS50, passive, obviously.
They are temporarily joined by some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers for surround sound. These usually live in my study, where, due to a small child sleeping next door, I switched to headphones.

1 Like

Love my vintage Klipsch Heresy’s II. High efficiency passives. Wonderfully dynamic, wide open midrange and treble, especially when combined with a SET tube amp!

7 Likes

That is the tree preventing proper room measurement? :smile:

3 Likes

Haha, I was just waiting for you to make this comment! :laughing:

…Yes! :innocent:

2 Likes

The room looks great with many possibilities.
You might want to consider moving your listening position further away from the back wall.
The rear wall could cause reflections with a negative impact.
You might need to reposition your speakers, but there is space enough to move them somewhat backwards to the wall.
Anyway, VR-5 HSE’s are simply lovely speakers!

Ever tried standing in a hi fi shop warming your hands on the quads

Some people have no sense of humor

I had ESL 63 but they didnt like Johannesburg altitude and dryness. I now have a quad 21 but I do miss em…

Mike

@Rudy_G

Theoretically speaking, your suggestions for @Juan_Ayllon and his listening room make a lot of sense, but in real life the effects are very difficult to predict just by looking at a photo. Ultimately, we always need to try things out. Moving the speakers closer to the wall could also have undesirable effects (e.g. less tight and “slower” bass etc.). Sometimes this happens even if you move the speakers only a couple of inches. Unfortunately, room acoustics is a complex and tricky business…

I have the piano black 11 s in the kitchen and 21 s in the main hi fi

Had to lose my ESL 63 as they disagreed with Johannesburg dryness and altitude

Still miss em…

Mike

1 Like

Thanks, Rudy! The rear wall has a large window covered by light and noise reducing curtains and liners, with a few long strips of 5/8” Dacron Fiberfill mounted on the inside of the liners, which reduce reflections from the glass. That said, I often either push the couch forward several feet or place a single chair a couple feet in front of the couch for more critical listening — and it sounds even better!

I also have a thick foam (used for furniture cushions that breathes) diffuser panel that I pull out of the closet and place at the right reflection point by the fireplace during those sessions!

2 Likes

Thanks, by the way, for the compliment regarding the speakers, Rudy! I picked them up used from a dealer in Ann Arbor, MI for a little over $2,300 about five years ago.

That’s excellent value for money. Great speakers! And a really nice room, too.

1 Like

After a long journey through different loudspeaker concepts I finally arrived at Bohne Audio Full Active Speakers.

They are driven by a Trinnov Altitude32, that also manages 3 subs and 8 Surround Speakers plus Center in my home cinema.

Several very expensive Horn Systems like Tobian (79000 EUR) could not convince me, but the innovative ribbon tweater of bohne Audio (plays until 500 Hz!) made me happy!

Watch some pictures of my home cinema on Bohne Audios Wesite, it was one of the first high end atmos installations of that company.

12 Likes