Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Yes, you’re right, but I know his speakers a bit and my previous VR-4’s (two 10" drivers and two rear ports) were even closer positioned to the wall.

Sounds (no pun intended) like you’ve taken appropriate measures already then! :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Markus_Wierl,

is the speaker in the photos you posted a BB-18? Looks stunning. Very impressive home cinema, too. Congratulations!

Thanks, Rudy! Yes, I have.

Preformatted text

2 Likes

Yes, it is the big one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, yes it is the BB-18!

Yes, BB-18 = the big one! I knew that…:joy:

I use Monitor Audio Studio 2 passive, with REL Strata III active sub in one room.

I’m considering either the Legacy Audio Studio HD passive vs the KEF LS50 Wireless active for another room. Any comments, thoughts, suggestions that might help me? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve had a number of active , passive and mixed ( powered subs ) speakers . My favorite active speaker was the Beveridge 2 electrostatic which coupled directly to a high voltage tubed amplifier in its base . Still among the best mid-range presentation I’ve ever heard . Had them for about 3 years and parted with them for the Martin Logan Statement speakers . A bi-amplified , passive speaker that on a good day could make your toes curl with its huge sound stage and realistic reproduction . I loved both of these speakers ( and the Infinity IRS that I had for awhile ) but my current speaker system , MBL Xtremes , is my all time favorite . It does so much so well and its powered subs ( twelve , 12 in. woofers ) and the MBL’s radialstrahler drivers make for unique ( in a very good way ) listening experience .

2 Likes

I have a set of infinity IRS V
Not sure to post active or not
The mid tweeter towers are passive and redone by Arnie N before his passing built by ps Audio
The woofer towers I think are active and have there own 2000 watt amp for each woofer towers
It’s also redone over and added ona phase shifting control box to allow a phase shift for each woofer tower this flattens the bass response. It’s all done in the analog domain NO dsp allowed lol.
hope my post makes sense

3 Likes

Meridian for me also.

1 Like

Hi @Craig_Rodger,

may I ask which model?

Wow that a lot of speaker…I’ve spent 1/2 a day in room one at PS Audio listening to Paul’s and they are pretty awesome!

The Giyas always remind me of the Diva in the movie Fifth Element :sweat_smile:
https://goo.gl/images/32mcpA

3 Likes

Both passive multi driver (Klipschorns) and full range (Zu Soul Superflys)
Like them both for their sensitivity and that they are both delicate as well as gutsy.
I can use 2.5 watt amps to great effect or go as powerful as I want.

2 Likes

Wow, wish I had the space and budget for those Klipschorns, I “just” own the Heresy’s! :smiley: But even then, my wife would leave me the choice: either the Klipschorns, or our marriage :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Being real corner speakers, is that open corner near the stairs okay for your Klipschorn?

1 Like

hi Koen, my dad gave me the K’horns around 2001. He bought them around 1975. Luckily my wife enjoys the music but I think she’d rather move them on. She would no doubt prefer a Heresy sized enclosure and loves the Zu for their size as well as the sound.
The open corner is not ideal but they still produced plenty of bass when driven hard. It was only at low listening levels that the open corner seemd to have an effect. It is a high-ceilinged room too and that didn’t help either.
They live in a more suitable room now with proper corners and low ceiling and are performing flawlessly again.

You’re a lucky guy! :grin:

They actually play well for 100 EUR. Not to mention design is at display in NY Museum of modern art.

1 Like

I first experienced active loudspeakers after living with a variety of passives, including ADS, Advent (stacked), AR-3a, KEF 101 and Snell Type A/II (bi-amped), when I built a home theater around Meridian products in the early 1980s. I worked for years in retail hifi sales, so I had the opportunity to try many of the different design combinations offered in the 70s, 80s and 90s before moving on from my unending experiments (optimizing separate components, speaker wires etc.) to settle on a preference for actives where everything is matched inside the box.

Today I use three Meridian 5200SE across the front in a 7.1 digital surround setup. I also have Audioengine A2+ and A5+ speakers in more modest systems where they are coupled with powered subwoofers, including a beloved M&K model from 1979. Now my experiments revolve around different software, transports, dacs and interconnects.

1 Like