Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Passive. A pair of Marten Miles III’s, powered by an Ayre AX-5 Twenty. Detailed, light footed, fast, PRAT, big soundstage. Audio bliss (as long as it lasts … :wink:)

3 Likes

I’m old :older_adult:, so most of my speakers are from the 80’s and 90’s. SoundLAB Millennium 2SoundLAB M2 are my main speakers, sometimes I swap them out with a pair of Magnepan 3.5R. In my multi-channel setup I’ve got a pair of B&W Matrix 802 for the mains, Matrix HTM for the center and a pair of Matrix 805 for the surrounds. Obviously, they are all passive. My only active speakers are my subs; a pair of B&W 800ASW subwoofers (the old cube shaped, not the newer kidney bean shaped).

3 Likes

There is an amazing and varied list of stuff on here. Fascinating.

2 Likes

Active: Dynaudio Focus 200 XD

4 Likes

And passive: PMC Twenty 23

1 Like

Active Dynaudio Focus XD 60 main system.

Active AVI DM 10 bedroom system.

Selling Dynaudio Focus XD 200…sale pending.

2 Likes

I am all active;-

Meridian M60; Front L+R
Meridian M60C; Centre
Meridian M3; Rear L+R
Meridian M33C Rear Centre
Rel Stentor; Sub

Driven by a Yamaha RX-V779 AV Processor [Amp]

1 Like

The AX-5 is one of the least-known best pieces of stereo equipment out there. I’ve tried so many integrateds and that was the Jimi Hendrix-level-amp of them all.

1 Like

My music room is active, Meridian DSP8000SE.
Main reason is that I had spent decades fooling around with a variety of solutions and I never became really good. Mismatches and gaps. So I decided to let one company do it all, speakers and amps and DACs and DSP. I studied their technology, and did a comparison with a Wilson/ARC setup. Very pleased.

A very long time ago, 70s, I had big Magepans, 6’ by 4’. Lovely clarity. Then I bought a house and paid a lot for the view, so I needed speakers that didn’t block it, Thiel did time alignment, even better clarity. Then I did home theater, Mirage bipolar, warm and fuzzy, no clarity. I wanted to get back to clarity, liked the Avantgarde horns but couldn’t afford them, but the Avantgarde Solo had great clarity and were inexpensive. But they had no bass. So I added a big digital active subwoofer, did all kinds of tuning and tweaking, gained oomph but lost the clarity. Still have the Solos, sans sub, I take clarity over bass.

So I went from passive, to hybrid (Mirage have active bass), to all active. And I love it. No tweaking, lower box count. (Same principle for my car, it’s active, engine and transmission are built in.)

I do have one room with passive Mark & Daniel speakers. They use an AMT tweeter/midrange and come close to the actives in clarity. But today, I wouldn’t do that, I’d go all active.

I know many enjoy the tweaking, but my hobby is music, not audio, the gear is just an enabler.

6 Likes

I’m an “active” :grinning: music lover.

ATC EL 150 SLP (active version with P6 amp).

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/special-editions/el150/

19 Likes

I see you’re new here. Welcome! And congratulations on your excellent speakers…:grinning:

1 Like

Active: Dynaudio XD 200

Considering KEF LS50 wireless after reading a lot of positive reviews.

2 Likes

Wow, they must be something if my 100’s are anything to go by. What size room do you have them in? When I bought the 100’s I was sorely tempted by the 150’s but ATC advised me against it based on room size at. My next listening room will be a planned extension so I doubt the 100’s will come out to play till the extension has happened. I may just see if I can accommodate the 300’s. :star_struck:

In the meantime I picked these ATC SCM 20-2 ASL’s up yesterday to do duty in the lounge when I’m able to do a little listening.

Well, reviews are positive about the sound quality, but I am seeing a lot of posts questioning the reliability:

Just saying…

I have read that too, so for now im just considering and waiting for KEF to upgrade firmware, where the reliability issues are gone…but thanks for mentioning it :blush:

Active: KS Digital KSD2080:

14 Likes

Last passive: Martin Logans, bought 15 years ago and have been extensively modified. X-over and room correction in two identical stereo digital amps. The system is too complicated and is for sale.

Since then all active:
Bang and Olufsen Beolab 18x2,19, 7-2, 4000x4 (home theater 7.1 WISA wireless setup, will be fully assembled when flat renovation is complete). Love the sound - Klipsch wireless Hub desperately need software bug fix or our ways will soon split…
Genelec Studio speakers and subwoofer on 33’ powerboat - Great SQ, I especially love the small size and they look like computer speakers, so they are unlikely to get stolen, unlike other 3K USD systems.
B&W Zeppelin (2)
misc others
I could not dream of buying another passive speaker, but Kii3 or Beolab 90 is a different matter.

1 Like

All three…

Active in the office with AudioEngine A2s

Passive for the HiFi with Harbeth Monitor 30s

And full range (but also both passive and active) for the home theater with Definitive Technology STS for the front left and right channels and subs.

2 Likes

Hi @jon_michaels
I have an AX-7e, used it for years (I’ll be selling it shortly). I was planning to buy the upcoming Ayre AX-8 when last month I had the opportunity to buy the AX-5 Twenty. From day one I’m quite overwhelmed by - let’s call it - the musicality of this amp. Love it. And it has only been playing for about 150 hours. I expect it to develop an even better sound!
Cheers
Marc

Like @Rdg, I’ve got a pair of digital actives, Dynaudio Focus 60 XD. Very honest speakers IMO.

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/focus-xd/focus-60-xd?c=walnuthighgloss

8 Likes