Found NUC8I7BEH/ROCK powered off this morning

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8I7BEH ROCK OS Version 1.0 (build 183) Stable. Roon Server Version 1.6 (build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Could not connect this morning from PC or IPAD. Checked the NUC in the AV closet and found it off, no power light. The NUC is plugged into a Panamax M5400-pm with the rest of the system components and from there to a UPS backup. No power outage has occurred. Powered the NUC up and everything is working normally. The NUC had been up continuously for a month prior to the 183 upgrade and has been up and available since then.

Would the system logs provide an indication of a problem?

Hi @Mike_LC,

I have activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis. I’m looking through them and I do notice that on 11/8/19 at 18:08 (UTC) the log file abruptly stops.

It is not clear what exactly occurred since there appears to be no activity - no music playing or scanning of files that I can see, it just appeared to randomly occur by itself. System level logs also do not provide any information, they appear to have been overridden automatically since ROCK was manually restarted.

If this was a one-time issue, it would be hard to say what exactly happened. If the behavior happens again do let me know and we can try to establish any patterns, but the logs we currently have don’t tell us much unfortunately.

Hello Noris, Yes this is the first time the NUC/ROCK has not been available when I tried to play some music except after a power outage. I added a UPS battery backup for the Panamax M5400-PM unit after that occurrence. No indication of a power outage. I’ll update this topic if it occurs again.

Thanks for checking.

1 Like

Whatever the issue is it happened again this morning. Had the kitchen zone playing when the connection was lost. I checked the NUC and it was powered down. Powered up the NUC and it is working as expected.

I don’t know how this could be a problem related to Roon unless it was a glitch in the OS.

The media closet is on a separate breaker. The NUC is plugged into a Panamax m5400-pm with the rest of the AV/Network equipment. The Panamax is plugged into a UPS system. There was no power issues and nothing else was effected.

Could it be something inside the NUC or the power supply? I would appreciate any input on what to look for.

The UPS could be faulting or the Panamax or the NUC power supply. Since these problems first started after you added the UPS, I would remove the UPS from the mix and give it some time. Process of elimination.

Another thought, the NUC will have a bios setting that controls what happens after a power outage, either return to the last state be it on or off, stay off or turn on. If yours is set to stay off and a power blip occurs other devices on the UPS will return to on most likely but not the NUC.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I’ll plug the NUC into the wall receptacle to bypass the Panamax/UPS. The NUC with Roon is my favorite component in the AV system but also the least expensive to replace.

Will leave the BIOS setting as is for now so I’ll know if it happens again. Thanks again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.