Four-legged acoustical treatments (Post your critters! :) ) [2018-2022]

Gwen is White and Liver, Marley is Brindle.

Named after Gwen Stefani and Bob Marley.

Gwen is quite the audiophile…in her listening chair.

16 Likes

My Stanley uses his squeaky carrot as a tweeter

26 Likes

So tired. Summer is tough.

32 Likes

Is there anything there (that I could play with)?.. :slightly_smiling_face:

29 Likes

The rescue continues to grow.

Has fellow rescues for company.

27 Likes

You have quite the Cattery going on there Doc! Your big heart has saved lots of kitties from an ugly fate…Way to go!!!

5 Likes

You are very kind, but I am actually the recipient. I have four kids who rescue the cats/kittens, have them spayed or neutered, and if they cannot be placed with the right family, they continue to live with either me or one of the kids. Often they have lived through trauma and need a lot of support. Again, thank you.

9 Likes

23 Likes

@LarryMagoo is on the money, you do have a big heart. Despite the deflection and saying it is your kids who drive this, it may have escaped you, but you raised four wonderfully empathic people and their nature and their efforts reflect on you. I love the pics you post of the rescues that end up in your family’s care. The world needs more of this.

9 Likes

It is miserable to think of the coldness with which dependent little things are treated. I like to think we make a difference, and thank you.

8 Likes

Our last remaining “kid”, Einstein, is 28yrs old. We’ve had him since he was 3 months old. He’s a bit of a brat, but we can’t help loving him anyway. :hugs:

23 Likes

Hey Saturn,

Never owned a single pet for that long. I guess Birds and Turtles are the only ones that do live that long!

He looks like a cute brat though! Does he mimic your speech?

1 Like

He’ll sometimes quietly say a word or two. I don’t think Senegal parrots are known for speaking much.

The African Grey we had (passed away in 2015) was a real talker. He not only learned many words and phrases, but would often use them appropriately. For example, if one of us became really upset, he would say, “it’s ok”. That was enough to melt your heart and uplift your mood. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Btw, he would also do that if one of our other birds/cats/dog was upset.

There’s a lot more going on in those little heads than we’ll ever know!

8 Likes

Do you remember similarly named Einstein who would express his needs and preferences. There are videos of him. Amazing.

8 Likes

Studies Irene Pepperberg did with an African Grey named Alex were fascinating.

5 Likes

As a kid, I owned several parakeets over the years. I had one who was just tattered and unattractive. She was the final offspring of my cousins’ two parakeets. No one wanted her, but I did. She was very attached to me. She would fly about the house looking for me.

I named her “Dinkey” because she was.

I walked 1.5 miles home from school, and my mother told me that when I was within about 200 yards, Dinkey would begin to carry-on as though knowing that I was close to home. I did not get home at the same time every day, but perhaps it was merely a time-of-day that she was learning.

I was told that she would not lay eggs unless in the presence of a male. She did so…apparently for me. I had to remove the eggs, replace with large marbles which she would sit upon. She would shower on the area between the two kitchen sinks.

Years later, two of my daughters babysat a cockatiel whom the owners did not like. They said she was mean and non-affiliative. We had her for five days. When they came to get her, she was on my shoulder, against my cheek and wanted nothing to do with them.

I like watching bird videos and once wanted to buy a conure which was a dusty dark pink. Her name was Rosie. Wish I had bought her.

6 Likes

Thank you for reminding me; it is a great story and important findings.

2 Likes

I posted a pic of our Grey some time ago. This discussion brought up so many memories, so I wanted to post another. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

20 Likes

So moving. Thank you.

2 Likes

First rule of bird ownership “not in front of the parrot”

They learn, mimic and then embarrass

They may well outlive you , imagine rehoming a cursing parrot later , ours is 17 out of a potential 35 so she will almost certainly be rehomed.

Ours (African Grey) not only mimics but does it in 2 voices, me and the wife , it can be very confusing :smiling_imp: They also string words logically. Quite scary …

9 Likes