FreeBSD Core Server

The Roon software is able to run on inside a virtual machine on a supported guest operating system (e.g. Debian) on a FreeBsd host (like FreeNas). This is route is based on virutualization. Once a FreeBsd port of the Roon software is available Roon can run inside a Iocage jail on e.g. FreeNas. Iocage jails are the default application container on FreeBsd, another application container is Docker. The major advantage of running Roon inside an application container instead in a virtual machine is that application containerization has a smaller memory and CPU footprint.

I prefer application containerization over virtualization because of less resource requirements. My FreeNas host is under dimmensioned in memory. Please consider porting Roon to FreeBsd.

The FreeNas plugin feature is a way of adding functionality to FreeNas in a user frendly way (no command line involved). Providing a FreeNas plugin for installing and configuring (e.g. adding mount points to the jail) would be the ultimate integration of Roon in FreeNas. For me this would be a nice to have feature, the FreeBsd port together with a small howto install and configure Roon on FreeBsd would be the minimum requirement.

1 Like

+1 for Roon in a FreeNas Jail

I own a tiny apartment and a freenas custom server and two servers in my house would just be too much.

I would definitely consider a lifetime roon sub if roon decides to port it to FreeBSD. That way I could use roon on my NAS together with plex to suit all my music and video media needs.

+1 I really want it to happen, otherwise I end up having multiple servers. My choice of OS also.

+1 Would love a FreeBSD port. Been using roon on a Debian server but FreeBSD server of choice. Small apartment, space really a premium.

Is it really this difficult to get any official support/response on this? I know itā€™ll make no difference but this is a make or break for me.

Even a yes itā€™s in the pipeline and we expect to deliver it in the next year would be useful, I donā€™t think itā€™s too much to ask?

I get asking people to post on the forum, but without no formal response/position, itā€™s not helpful to me.

thanks.

Roon management will never comment on their future plans.

1 Like

Always buy products based on what they can do today, not what you hope they can do in the future.

1 Like

Another +1 for a native FreeBSD Roon!

1 Like

Certainly +1 for a native FreeBSD Roon Server.

FreeBSD is the most lean and rock-solid OS I have used and am using.
Would be sooo good for Roon if they deliver a native FreeBSD version.

2 Likes

maybe you have to wait until getting old. :smile:

would be nice to have instead of a BSD VM.

+1 for FreeBSD port

1 Like

in our dreams.

I just tried to run Roon Core in a freebsd Linuxulator jail. It could have worked but alas, it doesnā€™t seem toā€¦

First it was mostly refusing to start because of how it was searching for network interfaces (Netlink isnā€™t implemented in the compatibility layer). I wrote a small stub of getaddrsinfo, and now RAATServer seems to boot. But alas even if it says itā€™s opened/started raatmanager/discovery/jsonserver thereā€™s no socket opened. I noticed that as well there is errors querying bits.roonlabs.net, so I wonder if something in the Mono runtime thereā€™s another issue with socketsā€¦

Oh wellā€¦ my road with Roon will end there, I just wanted to try it but I didnā€™t wanted to use a VM.

1 Like

+1 for FreeBSD port

2 Likes

+100 for FreeBSD port ā€“ rock solid stability and support is the perfect platform for Roon Core Server

2 Likes

+1 for native FreeBSD Roon Core.

Iā€™ve been running my Roon Core on an Ubuntu bhyve VM on one of my FreeBSD servers. It runs fine, but it would be nice to have a native version I can administer like all my other FreeBSD systems.

2 Likes

the default sound architect of FreeBSD is OSS, right? what is the difference?

Yes! Please make a native FreeBSD app. It would make my life so much easier.

Thanks

1 Like