Freezing on Win10 and unable to connect to Linux Headless Server [Resolved]

Trying to get up and running and struggling on my setup.

I installed the whole package on my Win10 machine with a small library, just to get familiar.
After a few days, I decided to install the Roon Server on my Ubuntu media server, and that’s where things have gotten weird.

My Win10 version has started freezing, which I believe is the graphics issue mentioned in April '17, and I’ll be reinstalling the 32 bit version, so hopefully that will clear up.

But the Win10 is dropping the connection to the Core instance on my ubuntu server. It also seems like the server is crashing and restarting, or failing to initialize. Seems like every minute or so, the connection drops and I get the “Lost Connection! Roon is trying to connect but is taking longer than usual.”

I’m also getting the “It looks like your library is not connected”

My Win machine is Win10 Pro, 64 bit, on an i5-3570k with 16gb of ram on an Intel DZ77GA-70K mobo.

My media server is Ubuntu 16.10, with an i5 2500 and 8gb of ram, and an Intel DZ68BC mobo.

Library is on my Synology 1515+ NAS. I could try using the mounted drives of those folders on the server /mnt/media/music rather than the NAS directly.

● roonserver.service - RoonServer
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2018-01-20 12:58:24 EST; 1 day 8h ago
 Main PID: 5928 (start.sh)
    Tasks: 68 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/roonserver.service
           ├─1026 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RoonAppliance --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonAppliance.exe -wa
           ├─1031 /opt/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 1026
           ├─1115 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe
           ├─5928 /bin/bash /opt/RoonServer/start.sh
           └─5933 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RoonServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonServer.exe

Hi @Corey_Kronengold ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to please provide a description of your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a better sense as to how your various device are communicating across your network. Additionally, I would also like to have you send us over a set of your RoonServer logs for review by our tech team. With this in mind, may I very kindly ask you to use the instructions found here and send provide us the logs in a shared dropbox download link.

-Eric

No problem. Didn’t realize you needed the network config as well as the hardware.
FWIW, it seems like most of my issues have been resolved by switching to the 32bit version of the client on Win10 with Roon Server running on the Ubuntu server.

PCs: 2x Win10, Ubuntu 16.10
NAS: Synology 1515+
Router: Fios Quantum
Switch: TP Link TL-SG1016DE
Oppo 103
Marantz 7010

All devices are hard wired.

Here’s my RAAT and Roon logs.

Hi @Corey_Kronengold ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested information/logs both are very appreciated! Confirming that the logs have been received and are in our tech team’s queue for analysis.

Additionally, I also wanted to check in and see how things have been performing as it seems the 32 bit version of Roon remote has helped.

-Eric

Thanks for the check in!

Yes, the switch to 32-bit has helped a ton with the stability. The connection to the server has been maintained and consistent, even with the addition of new connections / end points.

I’ve got the Roon Server running with the Core on Ubuntu 16.10, and “remotes” on my main Win10 machine and, now, my HTPC. Everything is working smoothly, connectivity-wise. (I won’t derail this topic by introducing other issues I’m having w DSD/DSF files being downcoverted.)

Very pleased to hear things are stable and functioning as expected, @Corey_Kronengold!

Happy listening!
-Eric

PS: If for some reason the same behavior begins to happen again, drop me a PM and I will be glad to re-open this thread in order to troubleshoot. Additionally, if you are experiencing other problems, please open a new thread, flag “support” (i.e @support"), and a team member will be a long to assist :sunglasses: