Frequent crashes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS Catalina/Mac Pro 2013, 128GB RAM

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi RBK852/both WiFi and Ethernet used

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ares 2 external DAC via USB

Description Of Issue

Recently on a trial period and concerned about frequent crashes after Roon core installation on the recently updated macOS Catalina… wanted to know if other members were experiencing this and should I be concerned? I think Roon is awesome and I’d love to purchase a full year but I don’t want to having to restart my Mac every time. Perhaps there may be still some compatibility issues with the latest macOS with Roon? Thanks!

Hi @Benjamin_Pitot,

How often are you experiencing crashes? Are there any specific actions that seem to cause these crashes to occur?

Hi Dylan, great question. It seems I am getting these frequent crashes almost everyday. I’ve only had the new OS installed for a couple of days and then installed Roon on Catalina. To be honest I am not sure and I am not blaming Roon as it could be a different issue related to the OS. In any case I do report these crashes to Apple but not sure if they take any action. First time I installed Roon my Mac Pro (a beast) was unusually warm and cached files went up to 105 GB. So right now I am planning to host Roon on my Mac Pro and perhaps thinking about the Nucleus although this is less cost effective solution for me.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any additional questions.
Cheers.
Benjamin

@dylan Just finished a 2 hour listening session with Roon connected to my DAC via USB. One thing I’ve noticed is there may be a conflict between Roon and the DAC, however prior to installing Roon, I’ve never encountered these types of issues so I suspect the crashes I am getting is due to Roon. I really like Roon but it’s not ready yet and I’d prefer ending my trial and perhaps try again when things are a bit more polished.
Benjamin

Hi @Benjamin_Pitot,

What kind of conflict are you experiencing here?

The next time you experience a crash can you make a note of the time that it occurs? We can enable diagnostics and take a look at what exactly is happening so we can get you up and running.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.