Frequent dropouts when streaming Qobuz using Roon Nucleus server [Resolved with Roon 1.8 (Build 806)]

Roon Nucleus OS version 1.0 Build 227, version 1.8 build 790, s/n: 54B203813BC7

Cable internet by Charter, Modem: Arris TM822, Cat 6 wire to nearby Synology RT2600ac wireless router, cat 6 ethernet wire to Nucleus and cat 6 wire to Synology DS218 disc storage.
USB port on Nucleus to USB on McIntosh MA5300 integrated amp with DAC 2 (recent upgrade, no change in problem). Cardas Clear USB cable. McIntosh to Spatial X-5 speakers.

Network Details

WRITE HERE

Audio Devices

I get erratic dropouts when streaming Qobuz music files. The higher the streaming rate (esp 24/192), the more likely and frequently I get a dropout, but does occur when streaming Roon internet radio stations. When it does drop out, I often get a dropout of the Roon Nucleus core and need to wait 30 sec. or more to reconnect. Now I sometimes get a stutter of the signal just before it drops out. I had this problem about 18 months ago and support had me do something with creating new backup files which solved the issue for a long time. I don’t remember how this was done. Is this a frequent problem? I don’t usually have problems streaming Netflix movies or a live concert from a computer to the TV and DAC with HDMI cable. I have standard router settings: IGMP Snooping enabled, DHCP Server enabled, etc.

Reboot your router.

I have rebooted the router. Does not help for long. Even had the modem and router completely shut down for a week recently while away, but had dropouts soon after restarting. I may need to start new Roon database, but will wait for Roon Tech support’s input. I found my past threads.

While we’re waiting for Support to pick up your issue, could you please check on something to provide some additional data?

Use the Web Administration Interface to the Nucleus to note:

• how long the Operating System has been running for
  • how long the Roon Server has been running for

The two timings should be very close to each other. If the Roon Server timing is much shorter, then this is a sign that it has restarted. Roon Server should not spontaneously restart by itself, but I’ve seen this issue being reported elsewhere in the forum recently, so confirmation that this is happening in your case would be helpful for Support to know. Thanks.

Geoff,
I did reinstall the operating system and server yesterday from the interface to see if this would solve the problem so the hours are shorter. Even so, there is a notable difference:
Roon operating system: 15 hrs., 11 min., 28 sec.
Roon Server Software: 14 hrs. 33 min. 26 sec.
Roon Labs Software: 15 hrs. 11 min. 24 sec.
I will start writing down time and frequency of dropouts. It is erratic, sometimes works well for awhile, other days drops out pretty frequently. High bitrate files drop out the most and only when streaming from Qobuz (not my physical music files on Synology drive).

1 Like

Sorry for the delay here, @Michael_Gormley!

I think this is a memory leak issue our team is currently working to resolve. I can’t provide any specific timelines, but we are hopeful that it will be available soon.

The next time this happens can you let us know? I’ll run diagnostics and confirm.

Thanks!

Dylan,
Thanks for your response. The dropouts are sporadic, frequent some days and sometimes none on others. I had lots over last weekend and Monday and haven’t had any so far since Monday morning. It is hard for me to tell what may be Roon and Spectrum cable. We are getting hot weather which causes more dips in the cable signal, but I haven’t noticed dropouts when watching Netfix over ethernet cable. I know from a year ago when we did something to create new backkup file logs, the situation improved for a long time. I haven’t tried this yet (it was a little complicated). I will advise when I get more dropouts. Is the memory leak issue with the Roon Nucleus or the Roon software itself?

Dylan,
Started dropping out again this afternoon and evening. Usually needs to find roon core when it does (takes about 20-30 sec.). Only drops out when streaming Qobuz. No dropouts when playing digital files on my Synology drive.
Mike Gormley

Hi @Michael_Gormley

I just wanted to confirm that we ran diagnostics to confirm that this is the issue I mentioned previously. We have a fix in testing, but we aren’t able to provide timelines just yet. We’ll be sure to let everyone know as soon as we have news on this. Thanks!

Dylan,
Thanks for testing. I am guessing this “memory leak” issue is what caused Roon to loose all the Qobuz favorites in my library and I had to reinsert them. I read about this problem with others. I look forward to the fix. Putting in high quality cat 7 ethernet cables did help some and also improved the sound, Look forward to the future fix.
Mike Gormley

No - that is a different issue, caused by a syncing problem in a Qobuz server. A fix for that has been applied by Qobuz, and should have cleared it for Qobuz users.

If you are still experiencing it, please report it in this thread:

Hi @Michael_Gormley ,

We’ve just released a new version of Roon (Build 806) that contains improvements in this area, can you please try to update to the latest Roon version and let us know if the issue is resolved on your end? Thanks!

Norris, I have the latest version (Build 806). I have another change to the system. I just installed a Sonore Optical Rendu as the endpoint bridge, which uses optical cable from the router. Roon Nucleus is still the core but no longer the endpoint. Maybe this will be better also (certainly better sound, good as it was). Will let you know on dropouts - I will have to have the cable service come out since there have been internet and TV issues due to the hot weather. Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Norris,
Now that it has been about a week with the new release, there has been very few dropouts and the couple that I had were very brief (only a couple seconds) and the music came back on without having to press play again! Big improvement! I also had the Spectrum cable service the line connections to the house and this also helped. Thanks for the Roon team for the software upgrade.

2 Likes

Hello @Michael_Gormley ,

Thank you for the update here, glad to hear that there’s been an improvement!
If you run into any other difficulties with Roon, please just let us know.
Happy listening! :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.