Frequent error message

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus - Serial #54B2038CFF5B
Version 1.00 Build 183

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Archer A20 on LAN
Suddenlink ISP. Download speed is 420 mbps

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PS Audio DSD connected by LAN

Description Of Issue

Frequent error message - screen hangs - cannot find much in Qobuz . VERY SLOW.

Hi @ArtSam,

How often are you seeing this message? Once a day? More/less?

What kind of Roon Remote/Client are you using to control the Nucleus and how is it connected to the network?

I experience this error message all of the time. Specifically, something will be playing and I will explore a related artist or album. Then I get the error message or sometimes a blank screen.

I have reinstalled and setup Roon software for my Mac and Nucleus 2 different times. No change. I even prioritized the Nucleus on my network. Nothing has eliminated the error.

No problem with music stream.

I am using a MacBook Pro, OS is most current version of Catalina. Connection from MacBook to network is wireless- about 15 feet from router.

Hi @ArtSam,

Thank you for providing that additional information. Just to clarify the Macbook Pro is the only Roon Remote/Client in this setup? If you have any other Roon Remotes around such as an iOS device, does that exhibit the same behavior? Can you let me know the exact local time + date when you next see this message on your MacBook Pro?

Hi Noris,

I also have the client installed on my iPhone. I do not see the error on my iPhone but occasionally it just locks up - nothing happens. The error occurs every time I use Roon on my MacBook. I just tried it now and it happened. Screen shot records Central Standard Time

I called my ISP (Suddenlink) and they see a strong signal to the cable modem and no issues. Appreciate your help debugging this problem.

In this instance I was looking at new releases in Qobuz and tried to click on a Keith Jarrett selection. The screen just went blank but continued to play the track I was listening to. Odd behavior …

Hi @ArtSam,

Thank you for sharing that screenshot.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Also, I want to mention that we have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Can you please give this a try as well and let me know if it helps?

Hi Noris, I have configured the Google DNS addresses into my router. Rebooted everything and just now started using Roon. No error on the first try. I will take a screen shot if I encounter any issues.

1 Like

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus Server Version 1.7 build 521 -“stable”
Serial #54B2038CFF5B

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I consistently have 300 mb download and 25 mb upload speed, Internet provider is Suddenlink.

Archer TP Link A20 with 3 wifi channels.

iPad mini (latest generation)
MacBook Pro OS Catalina 10.15.3

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC connected via LAN to Nucleus server . DAC connected to Pre-amp

Description Of Issue

I wish I could get my money back for the Nucleus server and lifetime Roon subscription ! I cannot search Qobuz or Tidal without getting errors or Roon simply quitting. Most of the time Roon just gives me a blank screen. This happens with either the MacBook or the iPad Mini.

I have re-installed, re-booted, and re-wired my network from scratch. Everything else I have and use including my Apple TV is blazingly fast. I believe the server is faulty. However, I have over $2,000 in this and hate it right now. Please help! Here are a couple of error messages I get all the time

Hi @ArtSam,

I’ve merged your post to the original thread where @noris was helping you. You mentioned previously that Google DNS seemed to help — How long did that last? Has the issue continued over the three months since you last discussed with us or did it go away for some time and then return?

The issue returned shortly thereafter. I have gotten used to repeatedly searching, restarting, etc. I just got so frustrated. When I use Qobuz app on my phone or tablet it is flawless and error free. Same for Tidal. I am at a loss and willing to try anything.

Hi @ArtSam,

Sorry to hear that the issues have returned. I have a few thoughts on how to proceed next:

1. Can you please verify that your router is on the latest firmware? In the past I have seen networking issues attributed to out-of-date router software and I want to make sure that this is not the case here.

2. Can you please try to create a Backup of your Roon database and then open the Nucleus Web UI and reinstall the operating system? This is a button in the top-left corner, the WebUI looks similar to this for reference:

Note: Do not reset your Roon Database & Settings yet, just reinstall the operating system with the top left-most button.

Can you give these two troubleshooting steps a try and let me know if it changes anything with regard to the behavior?

Hi Norris,

I can confirm both the wifi router and cable modem have the most current or updated firmware.

When I opened Roon on the Mac it began a software update and asked to update the core as well. So that has taken place. Let me see what happens today and tonight and I will write back. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Norris,

Everything is excellent. No timeouts, no delays, close to instantaneous searches and playback. I don’t get it but relieved. Maybe now (if this is stable for a couple of weeks) I will begin to enjoy my Roon experience - fingers crossed. I’ll let you know if anything changes.

1 Like

Hi @ArtSam,

Thanks for the update here! It sounds like the issue has been resolved, but if it by any chance returns, I would suggest the Operating System reinstall via the WebUI as I mentioned above. If things are still not working properly after the OS reinstall, do let us know and we can take another look. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.