Frequent Problems Loading Database (Core restart sometimes helps)

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+ Rev B

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear CM700
Google Mesh WiFi

• (Nucleus+ its own node)
  • (2013 iMac w/ ext HDD containing backups and local files on its own node)
  • no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

USB out to Parasound Halo Integrated
USB out to Schiit Loki DSD DAC

I also use remotes throughout the house, but these are the two that are directly connected to the core.

Number of Tracks in Library

111,151 tracks in library

Description of Issue

I found this morning that I had another “problem with your database” message. I needed to reboot after I got home from work but ended up needed a database restore.

The “There is a problem with your database” message has been getting more frequent. The only option given is to restore from backup, but I find that half the time, all it takes is a reboot of the Nucleus+ from the back of the unit for my database and library to come up fine. The other half I need to restore from backup after a full reboot.

Since the 1.8 update that forced the database to be analyzed before every backup and catch any instance of corruption (thus preventing a corrupted database from being backed up), I have probably had the “database problem” message about 12-20 times? Your records will likely be a better record than my memory. I back up the database every night at 2am with it saving 30 backups. I then backup that backup to a different drive every week or so. It used to be every morning, but I started keeping my second drive off-site and bring it home once a week. I don’t see a pattern with that and the “database problem” message.

I have two questions for @support that are related:

1. Can you examine to see why I am getting the “problem with your database” so frequently–or at least today?

2. If the database is now prevented from backing up with corruption, why can I back up every night and a restart will suffice half the time?

Thanks. I am pretty tired of waking up each morning to see if my database has crashed or for it to crash in the middle of the day–nowhere near the time of a backup being done. I just never know.

Sounds like you have a failing OS drive in the nucleus
@support

Hey @TuliaNonTroppo,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and you have my sincerest apologies for the delay in my response.

We’ve enabled diagnostics on your account and see a handful of errors that could be pointing to a failing SSD in your Nucleus. Before doing anything further, I would highly suggest getting a backup of your database ASAP.

Before any next steps, please let me know when you’ve made a backup, and let me know a timestamp of the next time you run into this issue.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Hi Ben,
I have backed up successfully at 17:53:34 US PT.

Hey @TuliaNonTroppo,

Great! Thanks for doing that. The next step will involve me getting in touch via a PM to gather information from you for an RMA. Please keep your eye out for a direct message from me!

1 Like