Frequent Tidal dropouts - Recent Development

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

2014 hi spec MacBook Pro 15 inch / latest Roon build (1.7?)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple AirPort Extreme is the Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Endpoint 1 is a Linn Makin DSM, connected by Ethernet to the router

Endpoint 2 is a Chord Hugo + Poly, connected by WiFi. Have done a speed check on my phone at the location of the endpoint and it’s fine.

Description Of Issue

The issue is that Tidal drops out. The problem is experienced in two ways.

1. Drop outs for a few seconds in the middle of a track. Mostly on the Linn DSM.

2. Longer drop outs where a few seconds of a track play… and then it just stops… moves to the next track and the same thing happens. Sometimes, I get an orange colored message at the bottom saying - not exact words - that there are some network issues. Mostly on Chord Poly

Hello @Faisal_Fazli,

Welcome to the forum.

You should be aware that we strongly suggest to not use Apple networking gear, as we have often seen issues surrounding this kind of equipment, so much that we explicitly mention staying away from this kind of gear in our Networking Best Practices Guide. This is not to say that the router is definitely the cause here, just that you should be aware of this as we progress in troubleshooting.

Can you confirm if local content also exhibits this issue? If you don’t have any local content to test with, you can download a few sample tracks from the 2L Test Bench for free.

Does this happen only when playing certain types of TIDAL content (MQA/Higher sample rates) or does this seem to occur regardless of the content played? Do you have any DSP active when theses issues occur?

Ok, it just happened…

MQA with DSP volume control.

However, this is on the Chord… when it happens on the main system, I’m not using DSP volume control…

Hi @Faisal_Fazli,

Thanks for the screenshot. Can you please confirm my previous two questions?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.