FS: NUC5i3 ROCK server [SOLD]

Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH (Silver/Black) based ROCK server

Bean Canyon model NUC with 8GB RAM (2x4GB SIMMs) and 240GB m.SATA SSD.
Running latest Intel BIOS and ROCK software

Will include the Roon trial I received with the UltraRendu, as I didn’t use it - so a perfect Roon starter.

Ready to go as a dedicated ROCK based Roon Core server - all built and confirmed operational - just needs a Roon Licence or Trial activation.

I am running a similar NUC5i3 based ROCK server with 6K+ albums, 80k+ tracks to multiple zones without issue, and also runs most DSP functions.

£200/€225/$250 ono + shipping (make me a sensible offer)
Delivery to UK/Europe/US - though ships with UK plug to ‘Cloverleaf’ on a Laptop style multi-voltage PSU (110/240)

Easy way (& cheaper, a bare bones NUC without RAM & SSD is more than this amount) to get a dedicated server for Roon Core with reported SQ benefits over a multi-purpose PC/Mac.

Still available

Still available

With a forum member building a NUC8i3BEK based ROCK server for £285, I will drop this server down to:

£150. €160, $175 + shipping

Any interest? If not, it will be going onto eBay

Can include a Roon Trial code with this ROCK server

Please note, following some suggested limitations of a NUC5i3 for running ROCK with DSP, have been running some measurements, list here - List Your NUC Capabilities Here and here List Your NUC Capabilities Here

And the outcome is that

1. Up sampling of redbook files to 24/192 - :heavy_check_mark:
  2. Up sampling of redbook files to 24/176.4 (power of 2) - :heavy_check_mark:
  3. Up sampling of redbook files to DSD64 - :heavy_check_mark:
  4. Up sampling of redbook files to DSD128 - :heavy_check_mark:
  5. Upsampling of HiRes files to DSD64 - :heavy_check_mark:
  6. Upsampling of HiRes files to DSD128 - :heavy_check_mark:
  7. Downconverting DSD128 to DSD64 - :heavy_check_mark:
  8. Downconverting DSD256 to DSD64 - :heavy_check_mark:
  9. Downconverting 24/382.8 to 24/192 - :heavy_check_mark:
  10. Processing MQA 352.8 to PCM 24/96 - :heavy_check_mark:
  11. Processing and upsampling MQA 352.8 to PCM 24/192 - :heavy_check_mark:
  12. Regular playback of redbook, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88/2, 24/96, 24/172.4, 24/192 and DSD64 files - :heavy_check_mark:
  13. Searching, indexing library, including Tidal and Qobuz - :heavy_check_mark:

Hi,

This could be exactly what I’m after, I’m planning my roon setup and was looking for a NUC that could let me dabble with upsampling.

I’ve got around 2000 albums stored in apple lossless format on a NAS, all standard bitrates, nothing hires.

Looks like it may be the perfect intro unit for me, although I wanted the experience of installing rock etc.

How old is the unit? Would you accept £135 including UK shipping? May even be able to pick up depending on where in the UK you are?

Hi Ian,
I am in Dublin, Ireland, so shipping would need to added in at about £25 tracked & insured. So will go to £170 shipped.

However I am potentially in London, for a day trip next week, though actual day tbd.
Plus definitely in UK from 14th to 16th Oct - over into Heathrow, and with friends in Camberley, Surrey for a gig on the Tuesday and back on the Wednesday. So drops the postage element @ £150

So what I have recently seen of the NUC5i3 processing capabilities, when using ROCK it is just as good as NUC7 and NUC8 models.

They are circa 2015/2016 builds, and I have been running ROCK since it was released in 2017, initially on a Gen2 i3 NUC, then on Gen5 i3.

If you are doing just Redbook, no up or down conversion this NUC would work for you also. It is out on loan at present, but I could see about getting it back & bringing it over to the UK in October. I would do that one at just £100

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Just a bit too high i’m afraid, it’s a pain I won’t be near you :roll_eyes:

I have a couple of DACs I’d like to mess with upsampling with and whatever I buy is intended to last for a fair amount of time.

I could pick a new NUC5i3RYH up for just over that, minus storage and RAM, still tempted but it’s that postage from Dublin that’s a pain!

Yes, it is that it is the tall NUC5 models, so they are reasonably heavy.

The DC3217IYE is a bit smaller, I could look at £110 for that shipped - once I have recovered it from where it is being used.

Alternatively, I could try, waiting until I am in the UK to post it - need to determine where and when I am over next week.

Thanks,
Simon.

£150 would probably be my absolute maximum at the moment I’m afraid so I’ll probably have to leave it. Gutted as it would have been perfect!

ok, will do the NUC5i3 for £150 shipped - it is just in an additional spare at present.

If you want to give me your shipping address, I will find a box for the NUC and PSU/mains lead.

Thanks,

Simon.

Hi, been tied up with work until now, just traveling, will figure out how to PM you details in a moment. Hope it lasts I can’t wait to start playing around with it :slight_smile:

Edit - Just to confirm its the NUC5i3RYH yes?

Yes, the one I have to sell is a NUC5i3RYH
I also use a NUC5i3MYBE which uses the same i3 CPU, and built with the same components.

1 Like

Hi Simon,

I don’t appear to be able to PM you, thought it was my phone? Can you message me please and I’ll respond?

Thanks

Hey @Funky,

I just upgraded your trust level – you should be able to send PM’s now!

1 Like

Thanks saw the message button appear all of a sudden :slight_smile: Been lurking for months should have registered sooner!

1 Like

Payment sent.

SOLD
If the moderators could adjust the title to indicate this status - thanks.

Done. 10/char