Funnel by Alphabet

I’m new to Roon and trying to review sections of my library, whether I want to keep them, whether the information is correct etc. (I had planned in my head to then to do 26 Bookmarks - one for each letter of the Alphabet).

So in artist view I thought I’d filter my library to only show the artists that started with the letter A - Adeva, Adamski, Alexander O’neal etc but I can’t seem to do it as it shows anything with the letter A in it e.g Bob Marley.

When I read up on this it seemed like Roon used to have this feature using the ABC icon.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do this now please?

Thank you.

@DinDaaDaa I haven’t seen this particular alignment in Roon and think it would be better to use other tools for this. Roon will not enhance your metadata, but will overlay its own enhanced object view on it if the identification is done well and correctly. You get structure and order in your own pictures and texts with Foobar2000, MP3Tag and many other programs.

If your files and folders are well structured, the strength of Roon comes into play.

With detours (tags, filters…) you can get everywhere, but it is not always the easiest way. This way is also nowhere to use further.

If you describe what you have done so far, it can be answered more precisely, what software you might like to do this task. If you have a MacBook, you work differently than the user of Windows or Linux. Those who only have a tablet can’t do anything with any of these desptop programs…

This was created with Foobar2000.

Hi, not clear why you need to filter anything. In My Artists view the sort order can be set to ‘By name’ to get what you need with no requirement to set a filter:

Scroll down obviously for the rest of the alphabet but on a PC desktop you can just press the first letter of where you want to jump to on the keyboard. I assume this works on a Mac too but no idea about how a tablet might do this (if it does).

1 Like

Hi Uwe_Albrecht, Thank you for your reply.

I am using an iMac and do not have it connected to anything else as yet. My metadata is pretty good. I mainly wanted to:
a) verify if Roon had identified the music or not as I have a lot of 12" singles that had ‘unidentified’ next to them.
b) listen to the music in Roon and decide if I wanted to keep all tracks or some of them etc.
I will check out the use of a metadata editor though as I agree it’s good to get this correct as it will be helpful with Roon or any other program.
In the interim I have found a workaround that does exactly what I want to do. My music is stored in folders: A, B, C etc and so I have gone to preferences>Storage and disabled my Music library and just selected Folder ‘A’. I’m guessing that Roon does not allow filtering by storage folder so at least I can achieve what I want this way. Thank you

1 Like

Hi Tony. Thank you for your reply.

The main reason I wanted to view a small selection of my library is to avoid getting distracted by playing something else and also to set myself targets like…I’ll review these albums today.
In the interim I have found a workaround that does exactly what I want to do. My music is stored in folders: A, B, C etc and so I have gone to preferences>Storage and disabled my Music library and just selected Folder ‘A’. I’m guessing that Roon does not allow filtering by storage folder so at least I can achieve what I want this way. Thank you

Yes it does, use the Focus.

1 Like

I use identified and many more is possible with more filters at the same time

All focus fields can be inverted by clicking on them once selected. So select identified then when the screen returns, click on identified will turn it red and it means unidentified.

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

You’re a hero. Thank you. I had looked at storage Locations before but because I only had 1 folder called ‘Music’ that was all that could be selected.

I can now see that If I import my library 26 times e.g Import Music>A, then Music>B, then Music>C folders individually then I’ll have exactly what I’m looking for…and I’ll still have access to my entire library…I’m a happy chappie. Thank you : )

2 Likes

You are most welcome. We all start out as newbs. :grinning:

In case you haven’t discovered it yet, this is a useful resource:

1 Like

Hi Uwe_Albrecht,
I hadn’t discovered the identified filter yet so that was helpful. I like how you have all available options on one screen. On my Mac you have to click to see more rather than seeing them all on one screen. I guess it’s perhaps because you’re using a tablet instead? As you can see from the screenshot below I’ve got most of my library to identify. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Ged,

Thank you for your help. At first I didn’t realise what was happening when the filter turns red. It’s very useful. Thank you for your help : )

2 Likes

made it with office tools (LibreOffice Impress) 3 streenshots - cut - copy in one presentation

Have you found the “Scroll Sausage” on the RHS edge , click in some “spare space” and it appears , drag this and a Initial Letter appears , drag until you get the letter you want

It works in windows & iOS , Mac I can’t vouch for

Unfortunately it only appears while the cursor is active so I can’t snap it

1 Like

Hello @DinDaaDaa and welcome.

It’s not what you were asking about specifically (filtering), and you may already have worked this out yourself, but perhaps worth mentioning that when using the interface on Windows or MacOS, you can ‘quick jump’ to a position in the overall view (for albums, artists etc) by hitting one or more characters on the keyboard. Only if one of the alphabetical / lexicographical sort options is used of course, and it can be used in combination with focus and funnel.

Happy exploring !

(Not sure if it also works on tablet/touch with/without keyboard - not using one)

1 Like

Scroll Sausage, that’s a first for me. Made my day. Thanks Mike.

1 Like

I worked for Wall’s in Willesden in my youth :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Hi Ozzie,

Thank you for your post. I tried out Quick Jump yesterday,really like it…much quicker than scrolling. Thank you

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

I tried your tip out yesterday and it’s very useful. I also found typing a letter (quick jump) to be very helpful. Thank you

2 Likes

Hi Uwe_Albrecht,

aaah that makes sense now. Thank you for your reply.

2 Likes