Funny "DJ-ish noise" when using Roon+ HQplayer playing DSD64 files and Flac of some albums

@support

Hi there,

I observed some funny noise when Roon bundled with HQplayer upsampling certain format of files to DSD512.

I believe it is Roon’s problem in most case since I have done troubleshooting with Jussis from HQplayer and Jonas from NativeDSD already. Without Roon, using HQplayer upsampling these files alone won’t cause any funny noise issue.

My Setup

Operating System: windows 10 pro 64 bit
Roon version: Roon 1.3 (build 223) 64 bit
Device system: i7 3770, GTX 780, 32GB of ram size
Music stored: Tidal, and local hard driver
DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD

The issue

How does the funny noise sound like? Check the DJ-sound effect below.

Take this album for instance, Mendelssohn, Schumann: Violin Concertos Phantasy - Philippe Graffin

I have three versions in my Roon library.

1. Tidal 44.1kHz 16bit
  2. DXD (PCM 352.8 kHz 24 bit) purchased from NativeDSD
  3. DSD 64 purchased from NativeDSD

1. When I use HQplayer upsampling DSD64 and 44.1kHz Tidal to DSD512.

HQplayer SDM setting:

filter: poly-sinc-xtr-2s,
modulator: AMSDM7 512+fs,
sampling rate: 48K*512,
auto family checked,
cuda offload checked,
mulicore DSP checked.
DirectSDM unchecked

Result:

I find there are some funny noise at the beginning of certain tracks. In this album (Mendelssohn & Schumann by Philippe Graffin), it’s 1st track (Allegro molto appassionato), 5th track (In kraftigem, nich zu schnellen tempo) and 6th track (Langsam).

I think you can easily hear the noise from Tidal streaming if you don’t have DSD64 file.

However, there is no such noise in the DXD version at all.

2. When I use HQplayer upsampling DXD, DSD64 and 44.1kHz Tidal to DSD256.

HQplayer SDM setting:
Filter: poly-sinc-xtr-2s,
Modulator: AMSDM7 512+fs,
Sampling rate: 48K*256,
auto family checked,
cuda offload checked,
multicore DSP checked.
DirectSDM unchecked

Result: There is no funny noise of all these three formats.

3. When I use HQplayer playback DSD64 with DirectSDM checked.

Result: There is no funny noise detected even in DSD64 file.

Furthermore, the audible noise still exist when Roon’s DSP engine is turned off.

I think there are some bridge issue or DSP engine conflict between Roon and HQplayer?

I also tried to do the same setup playback from other DSD64 files ripped from SACD. No such noise.

Please have a look and keep me updated.

Any help would be appreciated,
Wei

Hi @Wei_Xia1 ----- Thank you for the very detailed reported, your diligence is appreciated!

Moving forward, we are going to take the information you’ve provided and see if we can try to reproduce on our end. Once I have some feedback from our tech team I will be sure to provide an update. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

1 Like

Hi @Wei_Xia1 ----- Our QA department has passed my report back to me regarding this issue you are experiencing and are requesting the following:

1. Can you provide screenshots of the following:
  • The audio settings being used in Roon under “device setup” when you are making this observation.

• The DSP engine settings being used if that feature is active while this behavior is occurring.

• Your HQP player settings.

1. Can you provide us with a copy of the media you are noticing this issue with via a dropbox download link in a PM?

2. Can you please provide some further insight into what troubleshooting steps you have tried thus far? Have you tried increasing the buffer size?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me. Please find the screenshots hereinafter.

1. The audio settings being used in Roon under “device setup” when you are making this observation.

2. The DSP engine settings being used if that feature is active while this behavior is occurring.

DSP is switched off however the issue still exists.

3. Your HQP player settings

1. I’ve PMed you the dropbox link.

2. Increasing the buffer size in HQplayer setting does not solve the issue. No other insight I’m afraid.

Regards,
Wei

HI @Wei_Xia1 ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback! Both are appreciated!

Confirming that the media has been received and has been attached to my report along with the information provided above. Once I have an updated, I will be sure to reach back out asap. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

-Eric

1 Like