G-Tech 4T HDD not recognized by Roon

I just registered for a trial with Roon and I’m having trouble with the syntax for the path by which Roon will recognize my Music Library.

Related Info:
Roon = version1.3 (build 209)
OSX 10.10.5
MacBook Pro (2012) where Roon Core resides (I think)

My music is stored on a G-Tech 4T HDD connected via USB to Airport Extreme. I have a Sonos Connect in the listening room which feeds my primary hi-fi. There is only one zone.

There are 12,210 tracks in my collection.

Hi @David_Waring — Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. We have very good documentation in our knowledge base on how to properly configure your NAS for Roon.

Can you give the article a read and let me know what you’ve tried thus far?

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi Eric
I read the documentation you suggested before I posted my problem. I tried all the permutations of drive /file names I could think of using the syntax suggested, but nothing seemed to work. I’m not sure what version SMB I have (or what SMB means exactly, although I assume it refers to storage).

Hi @David_Waring ----- Thank you for the follow up. Can you verify for me what model G-Tech NAS you are using?

-Eric

The NAS is a G-Technology G-DRIVE USB 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 0G03594.

Hi @David_Waring ---- Being that this is an external hard drive that is being accessed across your network via the AirportExtreme I would strongly recommend mounting the device directly to the MacBook Pro hosting your Roon core.

You will have a significantly easier time navigating to your media this way and being as the information will not be, being pulled from the drive and then retransmitted by the core, performance will more then likely be better.

-Eric

Could the Roon Core itself reside on the NAS?

Hi @David_Waring ----- Roon server can be run on NAS as long as the device is powerful enough and meets our system requirements.

Your device is an external HD that is being accessed via the Airport express so it is not really a NAS by design and will not function as needed to host Roon Server.

-Eric

Thanks, Eric. Does Roon recommend any particular NAS to host Roon Core?

Hi @David_Waring ---- We recommend using either QNAP or Synology and as long as the device meets our specs there should be no issues.

-Eric

Thanks again Eric, I’ll give some thought to the options you’ve suggested. --David

1 Like