General discussion: What is killing boot SSDs?

I guess that you think it’s high because almost every failure will have to come here to talk about it, as we do support on this site.

I would think very high would be like a few % or something, and given that we’ve sold many 10s of thousands of Nucleus, the rate is quite small. We may be over 100k by now, I’d have to look.

We have this saying, “12-year-olds talking about sex”… that’s what going on above. People talking theoretically with no actual knowledge and interpreting the data they do have as conclusive and worthy of analysis.

Let’s say we had a 1% failure rate, which would be far lower than Transcend or Samsung or Western Digital actually have. This means that we’d have about 1000 complaints here. Do you think you’ve seen 1000 complaints that resulted in a dead SSD, as opposed to a dead PSU, motherboard, RAM, etc… or even user error? The first-ever return of the Nucleus was because the user thought it was a dead power supply. It turned out he just wasn’t pushing the power button. The quick start guide was modified in the next batch to refer to the power button explicitly! In Rev B, we gave up on the super cool power button situation in Rev A, and went with a more traditional power button. Far uglier, but far more obvious.

4 Likes