Genres, Tagging and Bookmarking ...brainstorming

I don’t want to get too far off topic since this is about Tag and Bookmark functionality and how Genres might be leveraged, but I guess to the extent users are using their own Tags as a way to correct faulty Rovi data then it is relevant. (But still, I would hope that the Community will continue to chime in as to how they are using these features to enhance their Roon experience rather than have this simply be a debate about Rovi data).

So my response to the above quote is: I do think Roon cares about the accuracy of the data. They understand it isn’t just an annoyance, but that it really has a direct impact on the ability to use Roon as it is designed – the relationships between objects can only be exploited (enjoyed?) if the objects are correctly identified/defined.

Where I suspect the Roon team may differ is that they don’t want a crowd-sourced solution. They’ve probably seen its limits and challenges, and that it may fix one problem and create two. And, oh gosh, if it went to the level of people debating applicable genres, it could be a complete mess. Even with it correcting problems without creating others, it’s also just a different business than software development, and the infrastructure and staffing required to do this would not be trivial. There are also concerns about IP (intellectual property) rights. Translations of an interface are one thing (unlikely to be considered an infringement since it is a derivative of Roon-owned content) but crowd-sourced metadata could easily be infringing the same way you cannot simply copy a phone book even though each individual entry in the phone book is not any one person’s IP. How does Roon detect if someone just uploaded a Discogs item of data, and take it back out, before they get a nastygram from Discogs?

My suspicion is that Roon intends to do something similar to the relationship between credit reporting agencies and other large consumer data sources: Let’s say Experian has my current address and Equifax has my current employment information. They compare databases and each fixes the inaccuracy or stale information of the other (“you complete me”). So if Roon were to obtain music metadata from 2,3,4 different sources and employ the same Big Data strategy, there would clearly be some notable upgrade in the accuracy of this information, even if there are still some inaccuracies.

And there will always be inaccuracies in data like this – the music world has no clearly defined boundaries; the plethora of artists, albums, etc. has no stopping point. And in some cases there just won’t be a way to reconcile differences, even if there is a human looking at them.

What I’d like to suggest is that in this thread we discuss how Tags can help address some of those problems in addition to other types of experience enhancements. The objective is to, I hope, help the Roon team explore how best to enhance these tools into something powerful but usable.

Tag and Bookmark functionality is very important, indeed critical, to some users. Maybe there is a contrary sentiment within Roon, but I don’t feel that developing a direct function to address a specific use case is necessarily the same as enabling multiple user-customized use cases by developing robust logical search and sort capabilities out of these tools. In other words, I would like to use the potential power of these tools to build out my own use cases rather than to see only specific use cases supported directly as a limited feature.

Yes, Roon might eventually be able to tell me what albums or tracks are overplayed and which are more obscure, and thus serve up what I desire relative to those attributes without my having to use Tags to do something similar. BUT, Roon won’t ever, and no software ever, will supplant all of my ideas about how I want to mix and match my library because some of those are simply too personal, or too obscure, for there to be embedded support. For those items, I just want some robust logic and flexible configuration capabilities.

1 Like

One thing why Roon is great (for me) is because of the relationships between artists, bands, composers etc. in bio’s and album reviews.
If Tags could create an experience like this maybe that “magic” could close the gap.

Maybe some sort of listbuilder (for tracks, artists, albums) could simplify usage.
I have some songs with tags (sublevel Classic in toplevel Genre), and tags (60’s,70’s,80’s (from toplevel Year))
In the listbuilder I can click / drag genre Classic and click / drag 60’s to the listbuilder to get a list of tracks.

Yes, much the same as I’m trying to achieve. Really we need that AND functionality :slight_smile:

There is a workaround but it is a PITA…

1 Like

I have inferred that Roon uses probabilistic models to link the “rich metadata”. To give users a sense of what was happened under the hood, I had envisioned a “traffic light icon” or starlight next to every significant tag or label displayed on the screen. Every time Roon recalculated the probabilities, the lights would display a “red” (don’t know what the hell this is" or “yellow” (iffy, best guess) or “green” (nailed it). One could turn the system on or off, user pref. But one could tell, tag change by tag change, whether Roon’s model was being affected, which tags were affected, and in which direction.

But, prolly way more coding expense than value. But if you’re listening Roon, I’ll forego my usual royalty fee.

J

Google Maps and Waze are pretty big products that rely on armies of people to correct mistakes in their data. And they do it because 1) people care that the data is correct, and 2) people are willing to make those corrections for free.

I don’t have a problem with the Rovi data, but I think it’s important for Roon to remember that your customers are passionate about music metadata. Even if we can’t contribute to a centralized database, we want to be able to add/edit data in our own libraries.

1 Like

Yes totally agree. I have noted some Roon folks mention they believe they can deliver a fully turn-key, already organized experience. Of course I support their work to make the “automated” aspects work as well as possible.

But for multiple reasons (e.g. users like to do things their own ways; music is too big to ever get everything right, especially when there is no consensus on “right”) this can never be fully achieved and thus I think it is critical that Roon provide robust tools for users to customize their own experience.

I’ve been trying to use Tags to do this. Roon’s current capabilities are a decent start but there is definitely much work to do…

1 Like

Hello guys,

I reactivate this topic, as I wonder what has happened in the last 4 years in this case…

I for myself struggle a little with all the possibilities IN roon to mark and separate my collection. (approx. 11500 Albums)

I just list up all possibilities just to make sure I don’t miss anything:

Main division into: Album, Artists (which means, tag “Album Artist” as I understand, Tracks, composers and compositions. Done by Roon taken from file tags.

Bookmarks: which I use to fast access different search results and combinations

Genres: file tag based, Roon based or both (not sure if one can switch off completely so you don’t see any)

Playlists: own created, or suggested by the preferred streaming service.

Tags: where I am not sure how to use this properly

Rating: where a five star rating can be applied on Album bases. There is an editorial rating, but personal rating can be applied.

Picks: the checkmark sign, which I understand as an editorial suggestion for remarkable Albums. Don’t know if it makes sense to add own picks or remove editorial picks, I mean manipulate them at all.

Favourites: the “heart” sign. Which can be applied to an album or a track. I understand this as the personal version of the picks,where one can show his personal preference on tracks or albums.

Not sure which ones are profile related and which ones are general markings seen by all profiles.

I do not add the many different options one can use by “focus” function and are available as standard to be filtered by roon.

I’m posting this, because I try to find my own way of getting the best use of this possibilities. But first I want to understand what is the initial, intention of those functions and also how do you all make use of them.

Kind regards
Andy

1 Like

Hi -
Yeah the genre tagging issue… I’ve spent hundreds of hours fine-tuning the metadata of my library using Yate. I love that program. I’ve recently setup a roon system and love it - except I haven’t figured out how to translate all the sub-genre tagging I’ve done. I’m determined to find a way for roon to import the bazillion of tags I’ve already written to my library. Currently I have my subgenre tags in the Grouping field in Yate but can easily batch copy them to another field if there is one that Roon will recognize and apply to it’s File Tags or its hierarchy. Any thought or ideas shoot them at me! Thanks!!!

I need to check that software “yate” . I have manipulated all my tagging with media monkey, which works quit well for me…

Flac tagging I keep very low level. I make sure those things are rigght

Album
Album artist
Artist divided by ; if more
Track
Tracknumber
Year
Genre divided by ; if more
CD number
Embedded cover

That’s the basics which are needed that my collection basically work in any software…

You can batch copy your grouping tags to STYLE or STYLES field and Roon will pick them up as Genres. Then you’ll be able to edit the genre map in Roon.

@James_I
you wrote on the TAG issue in Genres, Tagging and Bookmarking ...brainstorming were @Sallah_48 said it was necessary to have an AND functionality that there was a workaround (but a PITA)
I definitely agree to all that. I was searching and actually expecting the AND functionality but was totally disappointed when realised that it does not exist. So I am curious what your workaround is? (even if its a PITA :wink:)

@John_V
Absolutely, that’s exactly what is needed. This would solve almost all my issues!

Edit/Update: Please ignore my post below as I am describing an OR not an AND function.

Whether or not it works for you, Tags in a Tag work as an And. So if I have a Tag called SoulMusic and another tag called Metallica, if I create another Tag called Combined, and add the SoulMusic and Metallica tags to it, then it will be a combination of both tags.

In logic terms, that’s “or”.

“And” is the intersection between two tags, not the sum.

But I do love the feature of tagging tags. Allows for a semblance of tag organization.

While there is no “and” logic for tags, the “and not” function works by clicking the tag to negative. So if you have tags 1-5 and tag A and you want 1 AND A, use Focus to do A plus not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5. You have to have every object tagged to do it.

You’re right had a brain moment, sigh.

@ Rugby

Now you lost me.
In your example a Tag SoulMusic and a tag Metallica will show all SoulMusic and all Metallica.
What I would like; is to select a Tag. Then select a second Tag that would filter within the first Tag’s selection and so on.
With your example: a Tag SoulMusic → will show all SoulMusic, correct? Then a second tag Metallica → should show all «SoulMusic by Metallica» (probably fairly little :wink:)
But that would be exactly what I want.

I don’t understand. Meaning it would exclude that tag? if so how to do that?

Doesn’t Focus do that … try

Search > Metallica
Goto Discography > Focus > Genre = “Soundtrack”
4 Albums

Soul as you guessed is missing

Filters quite nicely

Under 10 taps as a Golden Rule ?

Yes, you can get AND logic from the Genres, but Focus doesn’t offer that function with user-applied custom Tags. (Well, it did for 48 hours when, IIRC, 1.8 was initially released…then some rapid bug fix release reverted the function…a very head scratching period regarding Roon’s release direction).

Yes, it excludes anything with that Tag. In Focus, once you choose the Tag as part of the focus, click on the Tag again and it goes “negative.” So if you are careful to apply a Tag to every object within a category (album, artist. etc.) then you can use AND logic by using AND NOT logic against the converse tags. It is a PITA, but once you get the tagging done, it does work. It used to be super slow due to database performance (like, 5 minutes to show results) but it’s gotten much better since I switched to an 8 core, 4.2 GHZ i7 on Ubuntu.