Getting drops on new Nucleus set up w/ 192/24 files using HDMI

Old set up:
Squeeze box Touch => Oppo 105(via USB,running EDO on SBT)=> Marantz 7005 via RCA
No problems running 192/24

New Set up:
Nucleus => into Oppo 105 via HDMI(in back) => Marantz 7005 via RCA

Getting drops on new set up on 192/24 files. No problems on 96/24 on both?

According to Oppo manual:

• The BDP-105 provides two HDMI input ports, located on the front panel and the back panel separately, both of which can accept up to 1080p high-definition video and digital audio. You can use the included HDMI cable to connect a source device such as a digital TV box, mobile phone or camcorder to the HDMI IN port(s). You can use the INPUT button on the OPPO remote to open the Input Source Menu, which allows you to select the corresponding HDMI IN port.
  • Keep in mind that the HDMI IN port on the front panel is MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) compatible, which means if it is connected to another MHL-enabled device (like a smartphone) through a MHL cable or adaptor (not included), then this port is not only capable of accepting high- resolution digital signals, but can also simultaneously charge the connected device.

NOTE
Both HDMI INPUT ports are HDMI v1.4 compatible and can accept up to 1080p high-definition video signal, however, due to internal bandwidth limits, the audio signal is up to 6ch/192kHz or 8ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and AAC.

Any ideas what if any setting I should check on the oppo?
On the HDMI audio settings it give me an options for Auto, LPCM, and Bit Stream.I have it in auto.

Anything other I should check?
Next im going to change the HDMI from back to front
Change HDMI?
Go from Nucleus HDMI to Oppo to Nucleus USB to Oppo?

Question? Why are you not running the HGMI output of your Nucleus direct to your Marantz?

I think the DAC in the Oppo 105 is better.

1 Like

In theory? Maybe. In reality, I doubt you or I could spot the difference, and it is much simpler than routing through your Oppo.

Been there, done that, changed the config back

I guess I can try that. First I’m going to try to run a USB from the Oppo to the Nucleus and see if im still getting drops.

Also what is the benefit of using HDMI vs USB for Roon/Nucleus?

5.1, if you have the files.

Hi @Larry_Gelman,

If you connect the HDMI output from the Nucleus to a TV or Monitor, do you still experience this behavior? Or does it only occur when connected to the Oppo? The USB test would also provide a useful data point - do let us know how that goes.

Thanks I’ll try. Not sure if I’ll get the same results given my tv won’t play 192/24 files?

So running Nucleus via USB into Oppo with no drops. Must be something with handshake issues given I have another inputs and outputs connected from the Oppo to receiver. I also confirmed with Marantz that my SR 7005 can indeed process 192/24 files via HDMI if if disable the Audyssey setting or running Pure/Pure direct on my receiver.

Hi @Larry_Gelman,

Glad to hear that USB is working as expected, this will be a good “fall-back” in case HDMI continues to have difficulties here.

Since this behavior only impacts the HDMI output on the Oppo zone, I would check to see if there’s anything on the Oppo which might be causing this behavior, some suggestions:

1. Check the Oppo settings for any HDMI-related settings (you mentioned you had a few, I would try all of them in part)

2. Try using a different HDMI cable connecting the Oppo

3. Verify that you have the newest Oppo firmware

Thx. Tried all of the above. Software is another issue. Oppo basically went out if businesses several years ago so the software is pretty dated.

Hi @Larry_Gelman,

If you have went though all of the above suggestions then it’s probably best to keep using the USB input on your Oppo since that is working as expected and it won’t be possible to receive further support from Oppo in troubleshooting the HDMI connection.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.