Getting the Best out of Yggdrasil - AES / USB endpoints

Thanks for your reply
I am still undecided between aes3 and bnc…
Both attached with their apropiate connection.
Still both provide high quality listening.

Remind me again, how’re you getting from Roon Bridge to the Yggy? Problem for me is the NuPrime UDSD coax output is not BNC so it’s not a true 75ohm connection.

Right now I use a MAC Book Pro as a Roon End Point.
Installed is Dirac and HQP. HQP I use for DSD real time conversion only. No upsampling.
From the Mac to Wyrd to Nuprime to Yggy either to Aes3 ( via converter) or directly via a proper bnc cable to BNC Yggy.

Hope thats understandable.

So you’re using a NuPrime DAC with bnc and aes3 outputs as the conversion?

Its Coax from the NuPrime (75k Ohm) to the converter. From there via a 110 k Ohm cable to The Aes3 Yggy connection.

Or:
a 75 k ohm cable directly from NuPrime to the BNC Yggy connection.

Are XLR cables the same as an AES cable? Same Ohm rating?

My Yggy is now running 48 hours since I hooked it up and boy is she sweet! Vocals are literally startling!!

Still keep wondering if those USB converter boxes improve the listening experience further. The Singxer SU 1 has a AES output.

Probably should go back further in the thread to see if my questions can be answered…

Boy that Audiobyte Hydra Z9 that evan d listed above sure looks sweet if you believe their description. At $825 is not as much as the Mutec 3…anybody use one of those on this Thread?

Same basic fitting, but AES/EBU is 110 ohm

Hi, the cables are the same. They are XLR terminated cables, they carry AES/EBU signals in a balanced/differential configuration.

The AudioByte Hydra Z is an exceptional bit of kit. It’s designer came up with the HDMI/LVDS principle for the transmission of i2S over longer distances than was previously practical. It has been around for a while but the Singxer products are proof the Chinese have seen the value in his work both in terms of performance and profit. Over on CA they are raving about combining the SU-1 with the Ultracap LPS-1. The Hydra Z has had a matching super capacitor based PSU since its launch. Nicolai Jitariu, proprietor of AudioByte and Rockna is a bit of a genius!

1 Like

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/digitalanalog.htm

Both will work, but there are some slight differences. Here is BJCs spin on it.

So if I have no use for i2S output/input cause my DAC has no input like that, it wants a AES input, then the Singxer SU-1?

So if I understand the cables XLR is 75 Ohms and the AES, same connector but 110 Ohms…right?

No. A properly terminated BNC coax cable is 75Ω, a 75Ω coax that uses a regular RCA type connector on either end does not comply to the 75Ω requirement. Many DACs don’t comply either in that they only provide an RCA type coax connection.

An AES/EBU (otherwise known as AES3) cable is a 110Ω cable terminated with XLR connectors.

Thanks Evan ! I really appreciate it!

Has anyone on this Thread tried the Yellowtec PUC2 Lite? From what I have read, it punches way above it’s weight class!

It’s $500 price would be double if it was in a “audiophile” case. The reviews I have read say it’s a first rate converter box that simply takes a USB input and converts to an AES signal. The box is powered by your USB cable power, so no PS needed. Plus it’s German made so the quality would not be in doubt…

Be great if someone here has/is using one…

1 Like

would any of you have a recommendation for a good value AES cable? I will use it with my Yggy…

Belden 1800F with Neutrik or Amphenol connectors.

1 Like

just ordered, thanks Evan

Hey Fellas,

From what I can glean for the web, I think Schiit is making a interface box for digital files before sending them to the Yggy!

Might even be called the Eitr…as in another Norse name for (crud) Eater?

I’ve been following the hints from Schiit’s Mike Moffat in other forums. Actual announcement in a few weeks. His early comments were about the noise-rejecting properties of Ethernet that seemed to be behind the observations of many RedNet/AOSP fans, so he decided to explore how that could be used in a less software-heavy way. As a very happy owner of two Schiit multibit DACs, I’m always curious about Mike Moffat’s creations.

Like Singxer SU-1?

That’s for using a DAC from a computer 's USB right? Otherwise, I don’t see how a device like a Singxer SU-1 would improve an already great endpoint like microRendu.