Getting the Best out of Yggdrasil - AES / USB endpoints

If I know anything about Mike Moffat’s product design from owning a Yggy and a Bimby and following him on a couple of forums, I very much doubt he’d waste his time creating another XMOS package. Whatever he launches will be different. My hunch is that it will be more electrical, less digital. The problem that he hinted at is electrical noise carried by the connecting conductors in all USB transports, not the kind of problem that yet another digital gewgaw would easily address. Better? That he’ll leave to the hearer.

Interesting, looking forward to seeing what he’s conjured.

1 Like

But for us with Roon and a good endpoint (such as mRendu), why would we even need such a device at all?

Since there is no computer USB involved at all, and mRendu does a great job with USB jitter / noise, is there need for another gadget in the chain? Additional money for what?

The mRendu is a computer with USB output. Optimized for audio, sure, especially with a good power supply like the UpTone LPS-1. I own two pairs of those for my two DACs. Is there anything that you could interpose between the mRendu’s output and a DAC to further reduce electrical interference with the DAC’s innards? I’d say it depends on the DAC, on the cabling, and on other electrical environment factors. I was surprised to hear an improvement when I replaced a very good LPS (Teddy Pardo) by a LPS-1 as my mRendu power supply. But electrical interference in very delicate DAC circuitry can be sneaky. If Schiit brings out an interesting box, I’ll likely get one to test with my systems and decide whether to get a second one for the other.

Don’t view the microRendu as a single device. It has some power conditioning and USB conditioning built in. That isn’t the entire story but the collaborations that brought about the device indicate that is what has been done.

The SU-1 does a better job than most devices at dealing with USB interfaces but it’s primary role is in bypassing the usually poor USB implementations in many DACs. So look at its role with respect to what follows it and not what comes before it. The AES input of a Yggdrasil is much better in terms of noise and latency than its USB input. The SU-1 does a better job of USB input and a good job of delivering that as a well clocked AES signal which we know the Yggy excels with. The overall effect should be an improvement and that is what people report. However as you know they do so with flair and poetic licence!

I’m looking forward to testing some of these SOC computers disguised and marketed as highfalutin audiophile transports against a stock C2, both powered with the LPSU’s I’ve posted about elsewhere. I’d be very surprised if there was much, if anything, in it at all. Audiophiles are gullible and people take advantage of that.

2 Likes

What ever happened to open minded objectivity?

That’s why I’m looking forward to testing. Whilst I don’t expect significant differences I’ve no problem acknowledging an improvement if it’s there, and I’d be pleasantly surprised. If I were closed to the idea there could be a difference I wouldn’t bother with the exercise.

It’ll be great to hear what you have to say. :slight_smile:

I know I have seen you…Earnmyturns…you get around dude!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I just love Mike and Jason’s irreverence …must really steam "Audiophile " companies that put out $100K Mono Blocks…which is nothing short of ridiculous !!! Can you say 1000% mark ups?

where can one follow their blog/contributions?

Miles,

Here’s one place… http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread/4545#post_13386507

or here. http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-stereophile-review-measurements.3762/page-12#post-130081

If you are a Schiit fan …they have a great Book…Schiit Happened…Jason Stoddard could be a stand-up comedian…/he’s that funny!

1 Like

thanks Larry

1 Like

Why would you post your bias and then expect people to take you seriously? A large number of people have tried same and found it exceedingly good. Probably just mass hysteria though. Let’s wait for your findings.

I don’t get what you are expecting to find that will be especially valuable, or persuasive given the explicit prejudice you express above. Your testing will be bound to your particular systems and there’s no reason it will apply to anything but an exact copy of those systems. If you are taking measurements, unless you have a fancier lab than most, and serious, peer-reviewed credentials, there’s no reason for us to believe them any more than we believe anyone’s subjective impression, simply because measuring accurately very low levels of noise, jitter, and distortion is very susceptible to bias and error from both measuring equipment and operator.

Save your time, enjoy the music, and let the rest of us decide what sounds best for us. Our wallets, our choices.

Very simple, I’ll have satisfied my own curiosity. Seems I’ve touched a nerve though, and you’ve come out swinging to defend a position. Hardly surprising. I’ve no interest in attempting to persuade you or anyone else one way or another. However, it doesn’t make my opinions or experiences any less valid than yours, they’re equally subjective.

I know how u feel. I think the audiophile industry is full of snake oil travelers… But hey for each their own and one must respect others decisions and opinions.

I actually think the industry has a lot of good people in it, the vast majority of whom are honest and providing for their families like the rest of us. The problem simply isn’t as bad as people like to make out.

That is true for everything… But I disagree to an a stent, This market is flooded with the opposite of those good people which love to sell you something at a overly high price because is “Audiophile grade”… Sorry I call BS.
Again I agree with you, There is honest company’s making good products, Take for example Small Green Computer… Their price structure makes sense… Take Roon who’s software is amazing :wink:

I rather not continue entertaining this topic, I would hate to see this locked by mod.
Good luck all! :slight_smile:

There is a number of good products. Might be small.
If members here try to test that and find their value for consumers I apreciate that.
I like to read @Fernando_Fuentes and @evand and @Henry_McLeod opinions.
All that helps me to select the stuff I might need.
Keep up the good work guys. Its really apreciated.

1 Like