Getting the Best out of Yggdrasil - AES / USB endpoints

Satisfying one’s curiosity, sharing the results is great. But grandiosely claiming you’ve “touched a nerve,” as if some anonymous poster on the Internet meant anything to me, or falsely alleging that I’ve “come out swinging to defend a position” not so much. I don’t care what you or anybody else I have no good reason to trust thinks about this gadget or that. I was just pointing out that proper measurement is very, very hard. Most measurements and conclusions from measurements that show up in audio forums are bunk, because their sources don’t know how to measure (so many mistakes with grounding, probe choice, and so on), and even when the measurements are not badly wrong, people use them to jump to unwarranted conclusions. Measurements can show gross differences between devices, but they cannot show that device A is not better than device B, simply because measurements give statistical averages that fail to capture subtler higher-order statistics that still matter for perception.

1 Like

I didn’t mention measurement, so what exactly you carrying on about.

Fernando mentioned measurement, probably regarding objective comparisons. It’s quite well written so maybe have another read. All opinions welcome I guess. I’d value Bob Stuart’s over my own. My reading tells me there’s a good number of people using microrendu etc and thinking they are excellent products. You see hifalutin, I see sound logical progress with evidence backed by my own ears as well as lots of others. Glad to hear your opinion though but you’ve already declared a bias so I’ll take that into account as well. Go for it.

[quote=“Barrowboy, post:63, topic:20919”]
It’s quite well written so maybe have another read
[/quote]I understood it the first time, thanks.

[quote=“Barrowboy, post:63, topic:20919”]
I see sound logical progress with evidence backed by my own ears as well as lots of others
[/quote]What’d you compare them with or did you go straight there because others held whatever you ended up with in high regard?

You both assume I made a statement to challenge your buying decisions, I didn’t. I simply indicated that I would like to test for myself to decide for myself whether or not there is a sufficient improvement to warrant me moving in that direction, and I added that I am not expecting to find that to be the case. You’ve bought whatever you use, it works for you, revel in it and move on.

Apparently not but it doesn’t surprise you aren’t getting the point

I’m modest enough not to want to share my opinion that way. No axe to grind

It’s always nice to share but my point is that having declared a bias, just how much value is your opinion (apart from as valuable as anybody else’s but most aren’t sharing for one reason or another, e.g. me). It’s sunny where I am, have a nice day!

Ditto!

/10chars

Bias is unavoidable, declared or otherwise, unless testing is done under strict conditions. It really doesn’t matter, but it’s good that he has the wherewithal to realise it.

1 Like

Nobody can deny that Schiit provides great value in their products. They continually out perform other companies products as much as 10X higher.

With their latest Brick & Mortar effort close to their factory in So Cal, looks like they will continue to change the over priced paradigm!!

Schiit showroom? Where is the facility located?

Newhall, CA

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I’m about 100 miles away. Looks like a fun day trip to gawk and/or buy…

@Henry_McLeod, how do you find the Hydra-Z, has it made an appreciable difference and what output(s) are you using?

I replaced a standard Singxer SU-1 with the Hydra Z. Initially powered by USB while I waited over four hours for the partnering ZPM to energise. It was very good to begin with, better in my opinion than the SU-1 but when the ZPM cut in it improved again. I use i2S over HDMI principally but also tried AES/XLR and noted that was also retained the gains in performance. My DAC is the Black Dragon from the same stable as the Hydra Z.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve been tempted by the Z for some time now, but I’ll wait till I’m settled and have my main hi-fi set up in a dedicated listening area again.

My Hydra Z is supposed to show up today!! Yea !! But their LPS is way too much money.

I am getting one from HD-Plex that will power my Mac mini (set up for 12 volts DC instead of AC), my DDRC Room correction system (12 Volts) and my Hydra Z (5 Volts). It maintains voltage +/- 5% or it shuts down to protect your gear. They allow you a year of use to return it for a refund if you are not happy…How many companies stand that tall behind their products…??

I’ll see what Schiit comes out with their Eiter DDC and see how it does in review …

Hi everybody,

right now i am using two different ways to connect my Mac Mini to my Schiit Yggdrasil:

[Mac Mini] -> (Ethernet) -> [Raspberry PI3 + IQaudIO Digi+] -> (S/PDIF ( Cox)) -> [Yggdrasil]

[Mac Mini] -> (USB) -> [iFi iUSB3.0] -> (USB) -> [Yggdrasil]

I am not quiet sure which really sounds better. Both ways sound really great. In my opinion the USB connection via the iFi iUSB3.0 sounds a tiny bit more refined. But this might be wishfull thinking.

We probaly should not worry so much about the connection of the Yggy and just enjoy the music.

Regards Stephan

1 Like

Hey Jnan,

What did you end up with? I hope you got the Gumby…that would be a great choice…yes you still need a preamp!

Let us know how you did! Sorry you got no reply from your previous post!

1 Like

I did not end up with anything yet :slight_smile: !. Thanks for confirming we need Preamp. I like the Freya, the Tube preamp ( for long i have been longing for preamp which is tubed). This seems like a good choice. I have many queries but later. Busy, heading to a meeting. More later.

Hope i m not hijacking this thread. Please tell me, i can create new topic (dont want to create noise which may not even work out for me :slight_smile: ).

Jnan,

Your posts are related to speaking about the Yggdrasil DAC from Schiit…I love that DAC! It has made a huge change in my musical enjoyment…Never realized a DAC could make such a difference! Love my Yggy. In fact adding Roon to my playback system has got me to listen to music many more hours than I have in many years!

1 Like

created new thread to avoid some good topics being discussed here.