Globally disable “radio” feature?

Hi,
Have set every preference to discourage Roon Radio on each Audio Source, however the bloody thing keeps re-enabling on an Audio Source.
So selected track/album ends and something you have not selected starts playing - please stop it.
I don’t mind suggestions, suggested playlist but not a rude cueing and commencing a track it has selected.
“Skynet has not taken over just yet!”
/Simon

1 Like

Hi Simon,

Without detracting from your support of this feature request, I’d like to check what is leading to the behavior you describe to see whether Roon is working as intended, or whether there is a known issue or a bug.

Radio is turned on and off for Zones, which I understand you are referring to as audio sources. Can you describe your Zones and the steps which should be taken to reproduce the problem ? In particular are you grouping or ungrouping any Zones when you see Radio re-enabled ?

A screenshot is worth’s thousand words… are you seeing this?

Nope, no changes to any of the zones or any setting in the audio support.

So my Zones are, from the top:

• A headphone zone, using a Bluetooth dongle plugged into the NUC running ROCK, paired with a set of B&W P5 Wireless headphones.
  • A Chromecast Group combining a Chromecast Audio device (below) and a waterproof speaker in the shower (which is available as a Chromecast device, when switched on). This zone is used mainly for Internet Radio in the weekday mornings, getting up & ready for work.
  • A Chromeaudio Device, using the speakers in a B&O TV, but in audio only mode.
  • A RAAT zone using the USB output of an UltraRendu, through a XMOS U8 USB->S/DIF convertor into the digital input of a Naim NDS network player.
  • A Squeezelite zone, using the SonoreUPnP bridge, running on an UltraRendu, to the Naim NDS network player over the Ethernet input (this is my main playback route on my HiFi system, sounding the best & best convenience).

There is also a Laptop based zone in my study when it is powered on, with powered speakers attached to the PC through a 3.5mm jack. That Laptop is a HP Elitebook with a Realtek device.

The re-enabling of the Roon Radio feature is on the SonoreUPnP bridge based zone, and follows a software update of the Sonore UltraRendu. Perhaps the update is causing the zone setting to be reset & the Radio function is back as a default setting?
However a global disablement of this feature would stop that, plus give back the unused screen real estate.

I can see an occasion for the Roon Radio feature, but it is not how I sit down and listen to music. Having come from the Vinyl/CD world and not the streaming ‘Spotify’ world, music tracks are selected by physical copy and then played. They aren’t selected for you and played back for you. I also tend to play by Album, as if a LP or CD, and not by track. Occasionally I do use a Playlist, but then it is the complete playlist, as if a ‘Mixtape’.

Thanks, Simon

1 Like

Thanks Simon,

Did RR re-enable just once, after the update, or is it now repeatedly re-enabling ?

It is just sometimes following an update or an update check on the UltraRendu and the SonicOrbiterOS.

Something I can’t reproduce, sorry.

Generally the SonoreUPnP route is absolutely rock-solid as a playback route. Occassionally the NDS ‘loses’ the network (like once every 2 months), but a quick power cycle solves that, and then every so often a the Bridge needs a restart.

It is just when you think a track/album is finished, and then suddenly something random starts playing, as RR has become re-enabled again, is a bit unwelcomed.

If you are looking for additional features for this release - could I have better line-art for the SonoreUPnP Bridge in the zone list, using the UltraRendu image (as it is running there). At present I just get the default Speaker image, as it presents as a squeezelite zone. See Device identification for Squeezelite product

Thanks,
Simon.

Hi,
@andybob Have just found a reproducible method of where RR is re-enabled.

So from a zone with a Chrome CastGroup transfer an existing queue to the squeezelite based SonoreUPnP zone, and RR is reenabled.

I would regularly make this queue transfer after listening upstairs where my Chromecast devices devices are grouped in GoogleHome to then listen through my Naim NDS network player, it is here that RR is switched back on.

If you could fix this and give me Lineart selection for the Squeezelite zone, so I can pick the image for the Sonore UltraRendu it is running on, that would be great. :blush:

Thanks,
Simon

3 Likes

Finally, a real Radio bug.

Fixing a bug is not the same as globally disabling Radio.

Thanks Simon,

That’s a very helpful description. Roon will see if they can reproduce.

Happy to test a build prior to release, given these are probably unusual zone types. @mike

I was on the original Roon Beta program, way back, and a Software Product Manager, so very use to Alpha, Beta programs!

One more vote for the option to disable Roon Radio globally. I never, ever shuffle songs. I like to queue up an album I want to hear and never, ever want something to automatically start playing after it is done. I don’t want the real estate of the Queue screen squandered on a feature I will never, ever use.

I’m sure Roon Radio is a feature many people appreciate but as is the case with all features, it should be optional.

3 Likes

It’s driving my crazy too, please make Roon-Radio a opt-In instead of opt-Out Option! I love Roon because it’s about MY music, NOT something some algorithms present me nor about someone looking over my shoulder while i was listening to my music presenting me things i might like. If Roon takes the direction all others like AppleMusic, TIDAL, etc. go i might give up on it.

Roon should be my digital VINYL or CD-Shelf, not more not less. It might look from time to time via Internet if i have a valid license, but other then that, if i pull the plug to the internet, i like it to work without any connection other then to my DAC or intranet. All other options requiring online connection like Music-Services, Radio, Multiroom, whatnot should be an Opt-In, not opt Out!

Is there a link where we could see what connections and for what are made and what data goes out of the house if we play our own music (not TIDAL or Qobuz)?

Thanks

3 Likes

If given a choice between having to live with radio or removing it from the software I am all for the latter. After reading through all this it is not clear if there is a way to disable it across all zones and have it remain disabled.

END the Roon Radio stream. Then toggle the switch in the lower right corner of the pictured page (Queue) to OFF.

I’m an “album” listener and Roon Radio got in the way of that until I went searching for a way to disable it. There are times when I’m working around the house when Roon Radio is a nice feature; it plays music I forgot I had.

What I don’t like is that the toggle switch is buried in a weird place in the interface (not so much now that I know where it is!). At the risk of suggesting adding complexity to the interface, since “Live Radio” has a spot on the main drop down menu, so should “Roon Radio” so it’s easier to manage.

@support

I am getting Roon Radio re-enabled for this zone with the latest release (Build 521 on ROCK).

Most annoying as music starts when I am not expecting it to.
I disable Roon Radio, then next evening it is back on again.

What changed?

@support @mike Think I have this figured. I was transferring playback stream from another zone, where Roon Radio was enabled. However I didn’t see it, as it was an Internet Radio station stream, and Roon Radio status is not displayed.
But when you then play a track/album on the endpoint to where the stream was transferred, Roon Radio is re-enabled again.
Perhaps the Roon Radio status of the existing endpoint needs to take preference instead of the settings of the stream being transferred to it, which then over-writes the desired setting.

Happy to go through this in further detail if you wish.

Hi @simon_pepper,

This is currently the expected behavior. If you had Roon Radio turned on prior to starting Internet Radio playback, this setting should be kept the same when transferred to other zones.

Since this is expected behavior, you may want to start a #roon:feature-requests and suggest a change.

Ok.
Done see Transfer zone should retain Roon Radio settings of target zone and not inheriting those from the zone being transferred

1 Like

TURN OFF ROON RADIO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Many of us don’t want it and the fact that you keep turning it on and changing (hiding) the place where you turn it off is VERY ANNOYING!

2 Likes