Going beyond the KEF LS50W magic

So spot on! Same thoughts in regards to the LS50W, I tried Dirac as well which didn’t help. Totally agree about the tweeter.

Was strongly considering LS50Ws and found this thread. Based on my reading here it seems like the combo of the Argon 3s speakers and new Bluesound Powernode 2i might fit my budget. Wondering if the anyone has any updates on these such as @Rik_Carter and @jon_michaels. I can’t afford going the separates route with Amphion mono blocks etc. so it seems that the Powernode is enough to drive these speakers properly based on comments above for an earlier version of the Powernode.

Also considering the Buchardt S400 as these seem to be similar speakers at same price point. The Argon’s seems hard to get in the USA. Has anyone listened to both and could share their experience?

Hi Michael. Yes the Powernode 2 and the Amphion Argon 3S are a superb combo. For me they were superior to the Kef LS50W with a sweeter treble and deeper, more authentic bass. The Amphions are simply a more accomplished speaker from my experience. Of course, the Powernode is also gives a more accomplished user experience than the native Kef app. But presumably you’ll be using Roon anyway?

I still love the idea of the LS50Ws and I’m considering getting a second hand pair for the summerhouse (ie. they will only see occasional use). But for my main listening I would not go back to them from the Amphions.

Yes, Roon is my priority in this setup. However, one of the things I want is Airplay 2 compatibility so I can just stream music when desired as part of my discovery process. This has been one of the big limitations for me with the KEF option. All that said, my current research has me going here:

• Buchardt S400s (very similar to Argons in sound but easier to get in USA)
  • Schiitt Vidar amp
  • Bluesound Node 2i (for Roon & Airplay 2) acting as preamp.

This combo seems to give me everything I was wanting from LS50w but with better speakers and Apple Music/Siri integration. 80% of the time I will be playing my high res audio library from Roon however. Yes, a bit more coin than the KEFs but I think ultimately more flexible and better sound.

1 Like

I run airconnect (github) on my NAS which converts any upnp device (my KEF’s) to an airplay device. Free and lightweight.
Kef says the LSX will support AirPlay 2 early this year. Maybe the LS50W will also have an update ?

@Anglagard Yes, I have Airplay 1 now via my Allo USBridge. The issue is getting Airplay 2 support. The functional jump for Airplay 2 is huge. But Airplay 2 requires more CPU and RAM and not all Airplay 1 devices were designed to allow for that. So I think it unlikely that KEF will add AP2 to the LS50w for this reason. More likely it will come in an update to the LS50w hardware in the future that leverages the work they did for the LSX. But I don’t want to wait for this to happen and I’ve convinced myself that I don’t want my amp and DAC in my speakers. The simplicity can still be there with the setup I am proposing as all is requires is some RCA interconnects.

I hear you. I got the LSX last week and this week getting the LS50w.

I like this point source concept.

As an all in one solution it totally makes sense. I wouldn’t care to muddle in DACs and such anymore.

However I can’t deny I need to “roll my own” also. That tinkering bug is probably what landed us here.

So my proposal is to get the KEF R300 and roll my own amps, my own dsp crossover and phase/timing correction and go all the way with that.

I guess to use Roon in this case up to 8 channels being sent wirelessly in perfect sync. Is that possible?

Wow this is why I am here. In fact the reason I even got the LS50W is because they are cheaper than the 8341.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Genelecs are the holy grail of the point source 3 way game. The main issue I have with the KEF in theory is that the same cone that is the waveguide for the tweeter is being asked to produce 50hz. I got myself two subs. However the Genelec crosses over at 490Hz. The KEF hi pass has a maximum setting of 120Hz. So no matter what I do the cone will have excursion.

This is why I looked into the R300 and fully customizing it with amps, dsp etc.

Your post reminded me that I can forget the merry go round and just get the 8341. Just to get it over with finally. Just Genelec point source and their DSP system.

It seems like with all this buying and selling I will end up there anyway.

IMHO yours was the only valid answer here. I’m not interested in relapsing into things like separate DACs and amps and audiophilia nonsense. I’ve had that disease (we both know it’s a mental disease) and pro audio is just the rational solution.

Still I can’t help but have thoughts where I still need to tinker. Thus the KEF R300 custom build idea. It will be fun but i’m sure the Genelec will be better and end up cheaper. I am no way shape or form going back to passive crossover no matter how many people drink that kool aid. Next month’s flavor will be different.

Anyone changed to ELAC ARB-51 from KEF LS50W? If yes, what’s the verdict?

Yes, I have a couple of thread replies in here about it. Happier with Elac in my system.

1 Like

I’ve just changed to Elac ARF-51. Remove the subwoofer for my KEF LS50W, too. Now my view is cleaner and neater. :slight_smile:

How does it sound compared to the Kef/Sub setup? What preamp are you using? I’m also interested in the Elac.

Elac ARF-51 amps are more powerful than the KEF LS50W. The mids on the Elac is excellent. They have more depths and its 3-way speakers makes the sound more consistent vs KEF LS50w with a sub. My current preamp is iFi iTube2. Schiit Freya+ is on the way. :slight_smile: