Google chromecast audio

i hooked up a chromecast audio to my chord mscaler but could not find the exclusive mode or integer mode settings? before that i was going direct from my imac with optical into my mscaler and i had core audio exclusive mode with those settings available. if i try a masters album now with the google chromecast audio i no longer see the sample rate automatically changing in the mac’s settings like i did when i went optical out from the computer into the mscaler.

finally how is the quality sound wise of the google dongle generally perceived by roon members?

Hello @musickid,

There is no “Exclusive Mode” on the Google Chromecast Audio. The Chromecast Audio is only capable of outputting audio from one source at a time, and its digital output is bit-perfect.

Some users report that the Chromecast Audio exhibits audio dropouts during 24/88.2kHz and 24/96kHz playback regardless of the playback source. These formats work for some users, but others cannot get them to play without glitches in the audio playback.

-John

The CCA is hardly in the league of anything Chord makes…not even close, so I’m wondering why anyone would bother at all unless it’s just a proof of concept.

Actually as a Roon capable endpoint I would put the CCA at the very bottom of the list IMHO. I have 2 of them and seldom hook them up for even non roon use.

As a Roon endpoint, the CCA is more than capable, as long as you’re happy to use it under 24/88.2 to avoid dropouts/stuttering:

2 Likes

Being as they are not the easiest thing to get a hold of and are overpriced now when you do find one, I would maybe look at a raspberry pi as a Roon Endpoint. With a good dac and ethernet connection you should get great audio and no dropouts. They are pretty cheap and still well supported. (Unlike the CCA)

1 Like