Google phones and tablets have for the past 6 months struggled to find my core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Not sure if it’s best to reply here or start a new thread by all of my Google phones and tablets have for the past 6 months struggled to find my core.

Windows, Macs and iPhones no problems, so not the network per se.

My now sure fire way of fixing this is toggle off both WiFi and 4G data, then toggle WiFi back on.

Hope this helps someone lose less hair and hope this gives a clue as to why they some Android devices play up so the app can be fixed.

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Core is a NUC pc with roon os. It’s wired to a gigabit switch connected to a modern asus router.
Then a ropieee on a raspberry pi 2, wifi to the switch.
Then a ropieee on a raspberry pi 4, wifi to the router, once seen connected over 2.4, but usually stable on 5ghz.
Phone is a pixel 3 xl, latest android 10.
Heaps of chrome devices enabled as optional endpoints, but the terrible home hub screen that killed the network is gone.
To use my pixel as a remote, I have to remember to toggle off wifi and data, before launching the app.

Hi @Nathan_Schofield,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the Roon is unable to connect? Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Just now, the usual, remote connection waiting for remote connection

Remote core

Now remote is on Android 11. Still can’t find the core.

Hi @Nathan_Schofield,

If you try to press the “Help” and then type in the IP of the Core or the IP of 255.255.255.255. are you able to manually connect? Also:

Please see Networking Best Practices Guide:

ASUS Routers

We recommend enabling “Enable Multicast Routing” option in settings.

Yes the 255s trick works. Seems to after a reboot of the android app as well.

I’d multicast set to auto.

Hi @Nathan_Schofield,

Thanks for letting us know the 255 workaround allows you to connect. Since this works, I suggest that you verify the multicast settings you have on the router and check for any IGMP Snooping / Proxying settings there as well.

I’m going to stay with the work around.
I tried a few of the related settings and it messed up the application connection so much I needed to reinstall it after reverting them.
At least now I can sit down to listen to music with confidence.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.