Greater information as to Background Audio Analysis

Continuing the discussion from Background Audio Analysis Seems Stuck (Linux 1.2 build 128, largeish library)[Solved]:

Adding a feature request as per Marius’ above post. I think there is some work intended to make Background Audio Analysis more voluble about where it is working and what problems it is having. All of that would be helpful to users and to Roon Support.

1 Like

Please do,
would be very useful if we could check whether the process is slowed down because of network issues (especially when using a NAS) or other file/folder related issues.

Related (maybe): latest Mac OS seems to have a SMB problem that causes really slow network connections. Having a guide for that available here on the Roon Community could provide many users with a direct solution for a problem they didnt know they had :wink:

Cheers,
Marius

Also, very frustratingly,
it starts all over every time i startup Roon. Why doesn’t it resume where it left off…

Marius

Have a look at the logs in C:\Users\your name here\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Logs

Count always starts with 1 of x after restart, but x (files to process) goes down.

found them on my NAS, not on my Mac yet (have two test installations of Roon Server running.

But what to look for?

Complete information in the log:

• 07/08 15:36:16 Trace: [analysis] analyzing trackid=54167346 url=M:\Music\Jenny Evans\Gonna Go Fishin’\11 Angel Eyes.m4a
  • 07/08 15:36:18 Trace: [analysis] analysis completed in 1425ms for 224s of AAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2ch audio. gain=-3,05000305175781 peak=-0,0625164359807968 noisestartms=338 noiseendms=217022 isdts=False for track 54167346 url=M:\Music\Jenny Evans\Gonna Go Fishin’\11 Angel Eyes.m4a
  • 07/08 15:36:18 Trace: [library] finished with 114 dirty tracks 9 dirty albums 3 dirty performers 13 dirty works 1 dirty performances 2 dirty creditroles 0 clumping tracks, 0 compute tracks, 0 deleted tracks, 1 tracks to (re)load, 0 tracks to retain, and 15 changed objects

I doubt this is the case. Have had the same analysis stalls using Roon on Windows referencing files on a server and Roon Server running on Linux referencing local files.

This will probably be slower on a NAS because roon has to access the files over the network - network congestion (which may appear when one or more clients are streaming hires stuff at the same time) will definitly slow down things, as will low badwidth WLAN connections etc.
Put roon server and storage on the same (headless) device to avoid this.

How did it end? It did, did it, or dd you just disable background analysis?

Marius

Sure that would be an optimal option, but just not very feasible right now.
Roon needing all dedicated hardware is a bit disappointing, to put it mildly.

I had hoped it would read my NAS without issues, as most others do.

Had Roon read a local usb drive, on a macbook air, but still the background analysis took ages, and started all over when Roon starts up. so disabled it… no fancy wave forms for me i take it .

Hope the Roon team can enhance this functionality, and at least give us some tools to analyse where and why analysis goes woe. (no pun intended)

Cheers,
Marius

Analysis completed. Had to restart it a few times to complete its work. Was able to browse/ play music etc. throughout.