Group Zoning two bluetooth speakers

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mas OSX Catalina

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ATT Wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Soundtouch 10 Wireless

Description Of Issue

Sometimes Roon can’t read both speakers when I’m trying to sync them together.

Hi @Ben_Talbot

How are you grouping these speakers together? Are you using the MacOS Bluetooth output or are you grouping them via Airplay? What exactly do you mean by “can’t read”, do the devices disappear from Roon Settings -> Audio?

My Mac is confusing the Bluetooth speakers between airplay and Bluetooth and WiFi. I use WiFi with Roon, AirPlay with iTunes and podcasts. My Bose speakers are about four years old. The sophistication might not be there.

When I group the speakers, sometimes Roon freezes and I need to start over.

Hi @Ben_Talbot

Do you have any other apps active when you’re trying to group these speakers in Roon? It is possibly causing an issue if you are trying to use the same devices across multiple apps at the same time.

I figured that. When I’m not using Roon, I switch to iTunes or Apple podcast and try to play it through airplay. It has a hard time with communicating with the speakers. I do a lot of tweaking to get it to work between either airplay or Bluetooth. When I switch back to Roon, the speakers stay in Airplay mode or something. The lights blink but no sound. Meanwhile, the song still plays through Roon.

Hi @Ben_Talbot,

If these speakers support Airplay, what do you use the Bluetooth aspect for? If you use only Airplay in both iTunes and Roon, do they remain stable when grouped?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.