Grouped Bluesound players stop 3-4 seconds into song

I am having an issue with grouped Bluesound node 2is stopping play in the first few seconds of a song. Doesn’t happen all the time, but probably once every several hours of play.

My set up is core on a new iMac with decent specs. Core is hardwired to router, as is one node 2i. 2 additional node 2is are on wifi but have good to excellent signal strength. I have no dsp, but set to have MQA unfold done in Roon instead of nodes. I have all three players grouped in Roon ( vs through BluOS).

Any thoughts on what is causing the issue and how to address? Happens with both tidal and local files. Will always resume if you hit play, but rather annoying since we have music playing throughout our house most of the day, meaning multiple restarts are needed.

Thanks,
Daniel

Does it happen for all music or only MQA?

BTW, you are not in the actual Support section, if you want I can move the post over to the Support section so Roon Support Techs will see it.

Hi,

Your topic has been moved to the support section of the forum.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Thanks, if you could move it that would be helpful. I wasn’t aware there were different sections.

To answer your question, it happens with both MQA and other tracks. It actually happened yesterday with a lossy file that was stored locally on the same Mac that is running the core.

Just saw the last response from Carl, so I will provide some additional details on my setup.

Core is 2020 iMac 3.3 ghz 6 core with 48 gb of Ram.

Assume Roon core is most recent build since I have only been using Roon for about 2 months.

Core is hardwired to my router, which is an Archer C4000. Not using the 5ghz band.

End points are 3 Bluesound node 2is, one of which is hardwired to the router. Other two are wifi, but when I check their signal strength in BluOS it shows good or excellent.

Music is a combination of Tidal and iTunes library.

Please let me know if there are more details needed that I have not covered here.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi @Daniel_Rice,

If you try to play to each Bluesound zone as standalone zones, does one in particular have issues while the rest work as expected?

Hi Noris,

I basically leave the three players grouped all the time, so I don’t know whether the issue is specific to one of them. I could try to test that out but it would take some time due to the sporadic nature of the problem.

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Rice,

You can keep playing to them in a group, but when the issues occurs, please then try to ungroup the zones and try to play to each zone individually to see if just one in particular is triggering the behavior! This can help us narrow down where the issue is stemming from, thanks!

Thanks Noris.

I figured I could ungroup them and play one of them at a time overnight with the attached stereo component turned off, then check if it’s still playing in the morning. I ran the first one last night without any issues, and will do the other two this weekend. I’ll advise on what I find once complete.

1 Like

Hi Noris,

I have now run all three node 2is separately for stretches of at least 8 hours, and all of them played fine without stopping on their own. So, it appears the issue is specific to using them in a group.

Please let me know where we go from here.

Thanks,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Rice,

Thanks for testing each of the Node 2i’s separately.

Can you please let me know the exact local time + date + track you next have an issue on? I would like to see if logs can provide some more clues, and I can enable diagnostics mode after receiving this information.

Hi Noris,

I have been running the group to capture an occurrence of the issue as you requested, however it no longer seems to be happening, or at least the frequency is low enough that I haven’t capture one in 15-20 hours of play.

I have a theory about what might have helped fix the issue, although I am only guessing. Currently the group is based on the one end point that is hardwired. Before, I believe it may have been based on one of the wireless ones.

Perhaps this helps to make it more stable? In any event, I am good for now and will advise if it starts happening again.

Thanks,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Rice,

Thanks for letting me know the issue has gone away, if it re-occurs please provide the information I requested and we can take another look!

Hi Noris,

I might have responded to quickly on this. I’ve had the issue twice in quick succession this morning. Please see attached screen grabs. Times are EST.

Thanks,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Rice,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots and apologies for the delay in getting back to you here.

Can I please ask that you use these instructions to send me a copy of your Roon logs for the team to review?

Is there any change in behavior if you try to set MQA capabilities to None in the Device Setup tab for your zones?

Hi Noris, I created the log file, but I don’t have access to anything like dropbox. Can you provide an alternate way to send them? As info the issue recurred on the last song played apprx one hour ago.

I will try the change on device setup you suggested as well, although it seems like that would prevent the nodes from doing the final MQA render.

Thanks,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Rice,

I just sent you a link via private message on where you can upload the logs!
Please do let us know how the test of disabling MQA capabilities goes!

Hi Noris,

Just uploaded the logs, and will do the device update. Please let me know what you find.

1 Like

Thanks for sending the logs @Daniel_Rice , let me get these over to the team for closer review!