Grouped Zones can't be Ungrouped if one of the zones are offline

I’ve stumbled on a minor inconvenience, but one nevertheless.

I had grouped two zones temporary to play same music in multiple rooms. Eventually I turned off the music including the DACs attached to the Roon. A day later I started up one of the two zones and appeared only as part of the previous evening’s grouping. I could not ungroup the zone or do any DSP adjustments or anything else except play music which it played without a problem.

The only way to ungroup the zone was to turn on the other zone that was part of the original grouping and then Roon would allow me to ungroup the zone and do all other things.

Hi @rayski ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is very appreciate and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing with your grouped zones, may I kindly ask you for the following:

• Please provide insight into the machine currently hosting your Roon core.

• Please describe the the two zones that were grouped together when the error occurred.

• Please walks us through the steps you are taking (procedurally speaking), when you are grouping zones in the application.

• If you are able to reliable reproduce this behavior, may I kindly ask you for the following information:

• Timestamp #1: Group two zones and play some music. Please provide the time of day when the group is active and what album/track is being played at the time.

"I had grouped two zones temporary to play same music in multiple rooms.

• Timestamp #2: Note the time of day when playback is stopped and the mentioned DACs are powered down.

" Eventually I turned off the music including the DACs attached to the Roon. "

• Timestamp #2: Note the time of day when the system is powered back up and you are unable to ungroup the zones/make further adjustments.

"A day later I started up one of the two zones and appeared only as part of the previous evening’s grouping. I could not ungroup the zone or do any DSP adjustments or anything else except play music which it played without a problem.

• Timestamp #3: Note the time when the other zone is active and you are able to ungroup the zones successfully.

“The only way to ungroup the zone was to turn on the other zone that was part of the original grouping and then Roon would allow me to ungroup the zone and do all other things.”

Once I have the above time frames I will enable diagnostics on your account so we can try to determine the cause of this behavior.

-Eric

I’ll try to get you all the tests and details this weekend.

Eric - Sorry it’s taken so long but I’ve been unable to get the zones in this state again. I’ve tried several different ways and tried using time (i.e. let it sit many hours disconnected from the database just as it was when I found this error) but still unable to replicate the issue.

I suggest to close this and if it ever happens again I’ll try to capture more information at the point of error.

1 Like