Grouped zones causes noise

Core Machine

Mac OS 10.15.5 Roon 1.7

Network Details

Both devices on USB directly connected to the Mac

Audio Devices

Chord Hugo 2 and Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt

Description Of Issue

When I group these 2 devices together, I get a sound like radio static. It’s not real loud, but I hear it during quiet parts of the music. Un grouping the 2 dacs gets rid of the noise.

Hi @Todd_Reitz,

If you play to each zone individually, do you hear the noise when playing to one in particular?
Do you have the latest firmware for both DACs?

I’m using the same headphones, switching back and forth comparing the 2 DA converters. I tend to hear it more on the Chord Hugo 2, but then it’s a higher end DAC that is more resolving.
I have deleted the grouping and I don’t hear it now.
Yes, latest firmware on both.

Hi @Todd_Reitz,

Thanks for the information.

Are you planning on using these DACs as a grouped zone going forward?
Would it be possible for you to make a short recording of the noise and upload it to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

I may use it occasionally.
Not sure how I would record this for you.

Hi @Todd_Reitz,

Is it audible as a phone audio recording? Also, what does the Signal Path show when they are grouped? Can you share a screenshot?

It seems to be an issue when playing DSD files.
I’m hearing it through the Hugo. Since the Dragonfly doesn’t do DSD, I’m wondering if it’s conversion is making noise somehow?

Hi @Todd_Reitz,

Does this issue occur only when using one particular DSD file? You can download a few samples to try from the 2L Test Bench (right-click on the file size -> save as) to test if other DSD64 files are impacted by this issue.

No, it’s on more than one.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming other DSD files are impacted by this issue. Does this behavior occur when either of your zones are grouped with something else? For example, does it occur when grouping System Output + Dragonfly or System Output + Hugo?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.