Grouping Nad M10 with Bluesound Vault 2i

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro Mojave, Roon build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

MacBook Pro is on WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Nad M10 on WiFi, Bluesound Vault 2i has ethernet connection

Description Of Issue

Is it possible to group the Nad M10 with the Bluesound Vault? When I try, it says they can’t be grouped. I can group them in the BluOS app, but then Roon doesn’t see either of them.

Hi @Joseph_Longo,

Can you share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab where it shows both the NAD M10 and the Vault 2i? What is the exact error message you are displayed with when trying to group them? I know there are some limitations on grouping specific types of zones together, and while the NAD has some bluesound technology built in, it might be considered a different type of zone.

– Noris

It is saying it’s a different type of zone, but I was hoping there was a way around that since they are able to be grouped in BluOS.

Hi Joseph,

I am sure Noris will respond as well. I just wanted to mention that it looks like you have not enabled the Vault 2i (from the screenshot you posted). The M10 looks enabled but the Vault 2i is not. You seem to have enabled Vault 2i as an airplay device. This is fine but you will not be able to group it that way. You would need to enable the Vault 2i as a Roon Ready device it like you have done for the M10 and then you should be able to group it together. Sorry if you have tried this already but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Joseph, this is off topic, but i’d be interested in your impressions of the M10.

Hi @Joseph_Longo,

@Yiannis_Kouropalatis is absolutely correct here :slight_smile: ! It looks like you are using the Vault 2’s Airplay which can’t be grouped with the NAD RAAT Zone. If you enable the Vault 2 RAAT protocol (right above the M10), you should be able to group both zones together.

@woodford - Since this is a support topic (and not meant to be a place of discussion), please request impressions via private message or in the #roon section. Thanks!

– Noris

Thank you! I took that screen shot when you requested it and didn’t really look at the screen, but the Vault wasn’t showing up in the Roon Ready box before. Since the original post, and before the screenshot, I’ve connected the M10 with a powerline ethernet adapter, though my Roon Core is still on WiFi. Grouping fine now.

1 Like

Hi @Joseph_Longo,

Glad to hear that grouping is working as expected now! One thing I should mention – we have often seen issues surrounding using powerline adapters in Roon, they can cause similar behavior to what you mentioned of devices not showing up when they’re supposed to.

My suggestion for you here would be to use a direct Ethernet run whenever possible and use an un-managed switch to split the connection. If this is not possible then a mesh network is preferable as a solution, please see our Networking Best Practices Guide for more info on this topic.

Either way, glad to hear it’s working as expected now!

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.