Grouping zones - AV receiver and two wireless speaker pairs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 laptop/tablet running Windows 10. Most recent Roon software installed.
iPhone 7 Plus on which the Roon software is also installed.
Synology 218+ NAS on which all of my audio files are stored. I have added this to the Roon app.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
LAN set up using a Linksys EA9500 router. All audio equipment is connected via 5 GHz.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Zone 1
I have a home theater system using a Pioneer Elite SC-79. I know some newer versions are Roon-compatible but that this one is not. I can connect to it via Airplay. I can also connect directly from my Surface laptop via USB DAC. This way, I can run music through the 192kHz/32-bit asynchronous USB-DAC in the unit.

Zone 2
A pair of KEF LS50 wireless speakers. These are Roon-conpatible but not Airplay compatible.

Zone 3
A pair of KEF LSX speakers, which are Roon- and Airplay-compatible.

Description Of Issue
I am writing to ask how I can group or run different zones simultaneously so that they all play the same song at the same time. I have read threads on the subject but am still trying to figure out if this can be done. I figure this has been asked already, but I can’t find the specific thread that answers it.

I would like to group or run different zones simultaneously so that they all play the same song at the same time. I have been able to connect zone 1 and 3 together via Airplay but not Zone 2. I have been able to connect Zone 2 and 3 together via Roon but not Zone 1. I know Roon and Airplay zones cannot be grouped.

Am I missing something? For example (and please forgive my lack of definitional expertise), can I just run a hard connection to the AV receiver for the first zone and stream the same music to the second and third zones at the same time?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi @David_Morris1,

In order to group zones, they must all be of the same type. So either they would all need to be RoonReady or all Airplay. Since they are not, they cannot all be grouped together.

Okay, thanks, Dylan. Appreciate the response!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.