HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

Well I dived in to this, listened to my test file and was really happy made such a difference the guys a magician, I can now listen without fatigue. Hopefully get the full filters today. Happy camper.

And wow full filters in and its sounding so much better. I cant recommend Thiery and HAF enough.

1 Like

Yeah, I would agree - definitely the best bang for buck of any HiFi purchase I have made. OOI are you using X-Talk cancellation or ‘standard’?

Just standard, X talk went beyond my understanding.

I won’t pretend to completely understand it but for me, on most tracks, I find I prefer it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Did you have to do any extra or fancy readings for it?

Nope, nothing fancy, just the physical room measurements - worth having a listen to Thierry’s test track with it and at least seeing what you reckon.

I am amazed I can now play things so much louder without hurting my ears, The more I listen the more I like.

1 Like

Welcome to the club. I enjoy my HAF filters for more than one year. Actually, I had to check, since September 2017 :slight_smile:
I prefer the xtalk filters, being more broadening the sound stage, about 1m out of the speaker location on both sides. Maybe not the origin, but very pleasing to me.

1 Like

Hmm listening to some albums tonight and somethings missing , they feel too flat and have lost their sparkle. I listened to them on my headphone rig and that sounds more alive. Will he tweak the filters if your not happy with them. I know it’s a big change adding these and a lot of music has sounded much better with more depth overall but their is some sparkle missing the more I listen.

Thierry has adjusted several of my filters after some initial listening. I say just write him with your desired adjustment and ask. JCR

I have now done this.

Got tweaked filters yesterday, these have gone a little to bright now, something I was having issue with before I started along this path so have asked for him to knock it back a little. It’s amazing how these tweaks change the sound signature so much. I am enjoying this journey it’s like testing different speakers each time.

1 Like

So having listened some more to the new ones I switched back to the first ones, preffering them overall today sounding the best it’s ever done. Be interesting to see what Thierry comes up with next though.

Maybe you can play a bit with Roon’s parametric EQ in addition to your original i.e. flat HAF filters. Then when you like the the signature you can ask Thierry to make the new filters with adding the preferred signature. Or you keep both EQ in Roon switched on. But I think Thierry will be able to make a better sounding filter as he can take your signature and compensate for improved time alignment.

I tried that did not like the results and I am bit unsure of what to really adjust, I’ll wait for his next iteration. But I am enjoying the flat ones today.

Been listening most of today and just got another updated filter to try out.

I’ve been wondering that now my analogue side is going to be so out of whack compared to Roon. Whats out there I could use the same filters but for an analogue chain I know it will have to have an ADC somewhere as convolution is only a digital process.

This one is apparently very good, but I am not sure it can use external convolution files so you might have to settle for using Dirac with it (which is also very good btw): https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio

But you would also need an A/D converter, so perhaps not optimal.

Yeah I am thinking maybe get a USB Phono stage and use a computer to stream it as flac and have Roon pick up the URL. Some have done this but its a complexity I am looking to avoid if possible.

So maybe the new Arcam SA30 is calling me. It has Dirac built in, and a mc phonostage so saves on another few boxes. Decisions, Decisions.