Hardware End Points Supported by Roon

I moved 9 posts to a new topic: MS200 Endpoint Support

Ok, let me blow your mind a bit…

With Android 5.0, USB audio endpoints are “possible”. This means that if given enough power, an Android tablet or phone, could power an Explorer AND run Roon. Maybe with a powered USB hub, you can use multiple USB DACs on your Android device.

On Android, we’ve not enabled accepting incoming connections from other Roons running as remotes yet, nor do we support USB endpoints on Android 5 (yet!), but this is coming…

Just imagine a totally fanless solid state tablet or phone running your Roon “Core” in a year or two. The hardware will surely get fast enough. Newest phones/tablets are already quad/octo-core 1.7+Ghz ARM w/ 3gb ram. In 2 generations, they will probably beat today’s Core i5 NUC.

1 Like

That is pretty amazing - I remember being excited when I could finally control my squeezebox from my phone. Is there a scenario where having multiple servers would be beneficial?

Just guessing but like having multiple Sonos play-bars, doing different things (like M core now supporting multiple MS200, 600, ID41s etc.) in an all in one box? Core being run on one or multiple Android tablets?

I moved 4 posts to an existing topic: MS200 Endpoint Support

Yes it is mapped to an ALSA device.

Ian

You will only want 1 Roon “core” in a system.

I moved a post to an existing topic: Raspberry Pi Support

Brian

Thanks for you openness, transparency and commitment. It is very refreshing and exhiting to see.

I am waiting your FAQ with anticipation but can you explain your position on more elusive endpoint like DLNA compatible consumer products like TV and others?

Also is support for Play-Fi devices in the future?

Cheers

I am waiting your FAQ with anticipation but can you explain your position on more elusive endpoint like DLNA compatible consumer products like TV and others?

UPnP/DLNA devices are some of the most difficult to support, but there are millions of them out there so we’d like to support as many as possible. We won’t have any form of UPnP support done for next month’s launch, but we will be working on it soon after.

I plan to write up something more detailed about UPnP soon. Stay tuned.

Also is support for Play-Fi devices in the future?

It’s not in our roadmap right now, but we are keeping an eye on its progress/adoption.

I moved 8 posts to a new topic: Meridian Comms Support

I moved a post to an existing topic: Meridian Comms Support

Will Roon run as an end point on my Android based Amazon TV with HDMI out. I can see how I could use the Amazon TV as a remote for my Sooloos end point which could be quite cool!

If only the speech recognition worked on non ATV apps too. I guess it would eventually get old but “ladies and gentleman please welcome insert band of choice whilst holding down the remote” and then the music starts!

What is that Amazon TV box? The Fire TV? Is it Android? Can you install Android apps on it?

Hi @danny

Yes it is the Amazon Fire TV. Android apps can be side loaded, but there is a way of getting it into the official amazon store.

Some Amazon Fire TV Apps

Developing Apps for Amazon Fire TV

Installing Android Apps on Amazon Fire TV

Cheers

We really want to release RoonSpeakers app for Android. Old phones, your Amazon device, etc… all could be good streaming devices.

Look for it sometime this year.

1 Like

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: SqueezeBox Support

@danny Would RoonSpeakers be a great way to use my iPhone 3GS and i80 dock to get Roon into my F80?

I am not super familiar with the i80, but I’m guessing it sounds better than the headphone jack. A software iOS RoonSpeakers app could pull that off – but no volume control on the F80 :frowning:

Meridian never did good volume controls for it. I loved that product, but lack of control made it a weirdo transient device for me.

Yeah, possibly clutching at straws here…