Hardware for ripping/saving CDs

Bill,

Check settings when using XLD. I discovered bad rips long afterwards in the past when using XLD. The logs showed these but the rips “succeeded” nonetheless. (Always keep the logs imho).

I myself switched to dbpoweramp recently. It aborts bad rips by default.

Steef

3 Likes

Steef,

Thanks for the tip! I do check the logs after the rip, and save them with the album folder.

Let me recommend this configuration article, too.

The tricky thing about XLD is the output directory. To get a nice artist/album/track layout, you need to explicitly change the default (under “File Naming”) to something like this: “%A/%T/%D-%I %t”.

found a lot of using things here, thanks… i never thought that i would ever use CDs again as i thought they are dead, but recent situations proved me wrong when i got someone with oral steroids for sale using them and need to read them. LOL

I come away from every garage sale with a handful of 50 cent / $1 CDs.

Same here… perfect rip - perfect file = perfect music

Wow, that’s a long time. Are these problematic, scratched CDs you’re referring to? Otherwise, you could use EAC’s burst mode, it will still verify the rip against the AccurateRip database, and you’ll be done in 2-3 mins per CD with a guaranteed accurate rip.

No that is new CDs. I think I have purchased 60-70 so far this year - and I don’t have a CD-player :slight_smile:
I don’t mind. Mostly I start the process when I go to bed, or just do something else anyway.
With my Mac and an external drive it used to take 20 minutes to make a lossless alac-version.

Yeah, no, an hour is way too long for a brand new CD that presumably is not damaged nor defective. Not a good sign. Something about your optical drive, CD ripper, or configuration is amiss.

Quite likely, your ripping process is utilizing multiple passes for redundancy. And while that may produce a secure rip, it does not necessarily produce an accurate rip. Modern optical drives are so precise – and some also cache their reads – that multiple passes produce the same data over and over again from an invisibly damaged or defective disc. Such a rip is secure but inaccurate.

The best way to proceed is to rip without concern for multiple passes – unless necessary – and automatically crosscheck that rip against AccurateRip or CUETools databases. That rip on a new CD likely takes no longer than 5-8 minutes.

AJ

Yeah it is probably the drive in the computer. I can try to use the external one I have next time.

There is a Linux solution called Morituri with a branch called Whipper that does accuraterip checks. Tried it myself last night it’s slow but will rip with the same accuracy as dbpoweramp. I normally use the inbuilt ripper in vortexbox and found it to be fine only the odd disc has given me trouble. It’s also fully automated so just stick a disc in and off it goes ripping direct to my Nas and then I sync them on mass to Roon. I currently run vortexbox in a VM on my Nas and it works with a usb cd drive plugged into nas. Saves on having another pc as my core is running rock. I can’t stand ripping on my laptop.

New release: dBpoweramp Reference R16.5

1 Like

If one is looking for a complete solution to rip / run dbpoweramp, I have used all 5 versions of RipNAS which Spoon, the creator of dbpoweramp, originally created and then moved to HFX (located in Austria. hfx.at). They have both a whs and a win10 all-in one solution with what I believe is a teac rom drive. for those who don’t want to fuss, it rips, will act as a UPNP /roon/LMS server. For me, it has been a no fuss, stable solution for years and makes ripping an after thought. Of course EAC is fantastic and I still occasionally rip with my treasured Plextor 708UF drive when I have something special to rip.

I use EAC with Test + Rip (crc code compared) +accurate rip to FLAC

I always check the log file and it feels great when my drive reads the same and also with A lot of hits in the accu database.

I place the log file in the directory with the music: artist / (album year) album {remaster year, label, cat#}
This info is also saved as extended tags in mp3tag. Making this info available in other programs such as jriver.

I then Scan the booklet, disc, tray in High res TiF 300 or 600dpi.

I also Edit scratches, dust in Photoshop.
Then I convert to png.

The front cover is converted to 1mb jpeg
And is embedded with the flac file.

the other named covers are placed under ”artwork” in the album dir.

This Is for me as good as the original cd IF not better.

Almost forgott… the hardware. Old desktop PC with a USB drive samsung dvd-+rw. Works fine. As someone else reported earlier, all new drives are fine with the proper settings in EAC. In the olden days, your drive was king.

1 Like