Harsh Distortion using System Output Win10

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win10 Home / Ryzen 3600 + 16GB / 1.7 667

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TPLink Homeplug to Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

3.5mm jack cable to Ruark Desktop Speakers

Description Of Issue

When working I tend to use my desktop speakers in preference to my main speakers. Today I noticed horrible distortion when playing tracks from Tidal on such; I do not use a local library. This was particularly obvious when playing the track ‘Hypnic Jerks’ by Rian Treanor.

Restarting Roon did not assist.

Playing the track outside of Roon using Tidal desktop (hifi) resulted in perfect playback.

Playing the track via Roon via my hi-fi (Volumio > DAC) resulted in perfect playback.

Help!

1 Like

You may be over-driving your speakers’ analog input, so try lowering sound card output via volume control in ROON.

Or maybe you’ve got digital clipping caused by the specific track or some erroneous setting within ROON.
You can check the latter by activating the clipping indicator: (EDIT screenshot now complete)

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll take a look at that; its definitely not the volume though as the track was played at the same volume (and louder) via Tidal desktop. Nonetheless I’ll look at it lest its an erroneous setting.

Thank you very much for the prompt response and suggestion.

All fixed, and I’m embarrassed by how easy it was. Somehow (Windows Update?) my audio driver had changed from the manufacturers to Microsoft’s. Re-installing the manufacturer’s driver fixed the issue instantly.

Well all I can hope is that my chagrin at having missed that at least helps someone else!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.