Has anyone done the math?

Roon’s super snappy database performance and cross-linked editable metadata can’t be done just with the streaming service APIs. If Roon was just an umbrella for a separate silo per streaming service, it would make itself obsolete

I for one could not care less about search, and I’ve never complained on this forum about anything search. I manage my own metadata, and I would be happy with searching Qobuz and navigating my library’s folders, all from within Roon. For me, Roon’s strengths are multi-room and DSP. That’s a heck of an umbrella.

And other people have different requirements.

And that’s so obvious it’s not even worth mentioning.

Obviously it was necessary, the question is not only what is a totally acceptable compromise to you.

What type of support do you need or expect?

There are no alternatives for streaming in Roon other than Tidal and Qobuz.
All others do not allow or want integration in Roon.
So support in this case means, streaming companies willing to be a part of the Roon eco system.

But, i do not expect support, that is up to the streaming companies.

That’s not a lack of support, that’s a lack of a business reason to integrate with Roon. We don’t know what support Roon receives from Tidal and Qobuz, but I suspect it’s perfectly fine.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Your comment just ends my appetite to participate in this thread…

1 Like

Roon has specific requirements and Tidal and Qobuz have been the only two streaming services to have complied. Lots of requests have been made for Deezer as well. As long as those companies firmware functions in Roon I’m happy. An example of poor streaming service firmware support goes to Astell and Kern. Their older model DAPs firmware could not be upgraded to run Tidal. When Tidal made a firmware change, A&K couldn’t or wouldn’t fix the firmware on their older players to be compatible. I have an older DAP (Kann) and a newer DAP (SE200). Tidal only functions on the newer DAP.

I could see Roon circumventing the lifetime license by entering the streaming service game themselves, thus protecting their relevance if Tidal and/or Qobuz go away and charging a monthly fee for lifetimers and a lower cost, bundled monthly fee for non-lifetimers.

I very much doubt, with only a subscriber base of 250,000 (or whatever it is now), that Roon has the financial resources to enter the streaming business, especially now that the 500 lb. canary that is Amazon is making its play.

Tidal, and probably Qobuz, have yet to turn a profit. There’s always rumors of Tidal going under.

The fact Tidal and Qobuz have such a tenuous existence is what threatens Roon’s continued viability.

Roon starting a streaming service would be a reasonable solution, as long as their catalog is competitive to those offered by the other services. More likely, IMO, is Roon sells to one of the big streamer companies like Apple Music. How Roon lifetime licenses get worked if that happens is a guess.

The horror. :grimacing:

3 Likes

I think it is a possibility though.

A buying company assumes the liabilities of the purchased company.

Could it be possible that the lifetime membership should be for the build you buy and then updates would be an additional charge?
This would be an incentive for Roon to update and for the updates to be meaningful and at a set time period. This could be other than updates that are only to correct problems.
That would keep up a revenue stream commensurate with forward quality and make everyone happy.

1 Like

No………really….no!

3 Likes

Then we’ll have one update for every little change and every single bug fix.

2 Likes

I really don’t think you could be any more wrong.

1 Like