Has anyone tried a „hifi“ fuse with a Lumin?

No need to apologise. Should be a highly relevant question. The ‘hardliners’ on here will attack anything that resembles a subjective theme :smile:

2 Likes

Why is it ridiculous? Probably because you don’t believe that changing the fuses makes any difference. Of course you also probably have never tried it either. You can’t put a man on the moon either. That was staged.

I consider “ridiculous” to be an offensive description of something you don’t believe in.

1 Like

Peter, I apologize if what you characterize as an “offensive description” actually offended you – you didn’t make that clear.

But really, if we stuck only to topics which offended no one, this forum would die a quick death. I am offended by many of the things discussed here, but I generally manage to “suck it up” and “grin and bear it”. Not always.

Really? Do you think that in order to have a successful forum we need to offend our fellow man? Bill, you may have it all wrong.

1 Like

Everyone, I know this is an uncategorised topic and so it gets more leeway regarding straying off topic, but please keep away from personal comments, or it may get closed.

[Moderated]

I mean that in order to have valuable discussions, we need to be able to say what we think even if it may offend someone.

Different things offend different people. I, for instance, am often offended by a mode of discourse in which nonsense is tolerated, often indeed encouraged, but in which pointing out that “the Emperor has no clothes!” is frowned upon. But I grit my teeth and get on with it.

4 Likes

Getting back on topic. I found a few more forums on this somewhat controversial topic.

But even with „hifi“ fuses costing maybe 50 bucks, I cannot think of any tuning measure that costs less.

So I bought two fuses. One for my T2 and one for my amp. Why not have a try…

1 Like

I did find a positive result with the silver fuses I tried. Then my power tubes went out and blew $100+ oof my fuses and I realized it was not a good bargain for the marginal gain.

i have audiophile fuses in my spectral monos and pre that cost about 150€ per unit and i would have to lie if i said i heard differences beyond imagination.
in the case of power cables i and others (some of which have nothing to do with hifi) have heard clearer differences. i don’t think that was our imagination. unfortunately they cost me tens of times :pensive:.
btw: can a non-esotericist explain to me what the reason is that fuses on the connection should be directional? the current flows 50 or 60 times back and forth!

Please dont get me started :rofl:

3 Likes

ok, I do not expect a meaningful answer anyway :wink:

Guys, since you touched this topic.

Would you be able to explain why it makes a difference in wich way you connect the power cable? So if „hot“ is on the left or right.

Or don’t you believe this matters as well?

Will you check back in when you find that the fuses made no audible difference?

That’s a fair ask :slight_smile:

This is not an issue in some countries, like the UK.
There are (sometimes easily) audible differences when your Live and Neutral is swapped and often it is related to the amount of EMI created by the flow of energy through the trannies.
There are ways to establish the “intended” phasing of equipment also.

there are measurable differences between the two versions.
this is related to the parasitic capacitances of the transformers of the power supplies to ground, which result in a minimal current flow over the ground line of the connected devices, because there is a potential difference between the devices.
but this depends strongly on the design of the power supply. smps often had almost no differences in my measurements. probably because there are no big transformers installed…
on the internet there are many descriptions about the causes and how to measure this. a better digital multimeter is sufficient.
however, i would not recommend it to someone who does not have a basic understanding of electrical engineering!
otherwise there are also special devices, but according to my measurements they were not that accurate.
best is to try both versions and use the one you like better.

2 Likes

This matters for the reasons above but also as a safety measure as many (not all) devices only switch the L side of the incoming power, and the inline fuse is also in the L connection.

many countries also tie the N side of the mains to earth potential back at the distribution board or supply out side the house.

Hi Günter, thx for the explanation.

do you know if all kinds of power supplies are equally affected by wrongly connecting the L / Hot pin?
Or are for instance linear power supplies more affected then lets say switching power supplies?

To be honest, the reason for asking is:
I tried to measure what is the HOT pin on my Lumin T2 and if I measure with a multimeter I come to another conclusion then when I measure it using a device (Oelbach Phaser). Just to add to the confusion, I have tracked several pictures of Lumin T2 on the web and it seems like Lumin sometimes manufactures the T2 with the C14 plug in one way, and sometimes inverted. Puh. Now the question is, was the plug mistakenly inverted at manufacturing, or maybe also the way it connects to the internal switching power supply… who can know for sure? I am close to opening the T2 to take a look…

And well, not sure what is wrong with my ears, but I do not perceive a big change in sound connecting the T2 on way or the other. Thus the question, if switching power supplies maybe are not so much affected by wrong connection of the HOT pin.

(On my AMP I hear a huge difference…)

PS: the “high-end”, “audiophile” fuses for my T2 and AMP are arriving tomorrow.

LOL - if I can’t hear any difference on the T2 connecting it with wrong phase/HOT pin… I wonder if I can hear a fuse…