Has Roon stated their intentions for what they would do if TIDAL were to go out-of-business

Back in the day we used to buy and cherish our hard bought music - streaming services have a tough business model. The consumer is spoilt - when oh when will people realise that simply by subscribing to a streaming service you do NOT “own” the music … it’s the risk YOU take … Roon should not be “penalised” for best faith compatibility ?
Even from Qobuz for something I really cherish I BUY the files …
My 6,000 odd CDs are all painstakingly ripped and most sit in my loft part from the few rarities I managed to sell having ripped em.

1 Like

@Johan_Coorg Very true :slight_smile:

There seem to be shifting attitudes with regards to ownership. Motor car manufacturers are introducing rental type schemas where you never own the car. You rent it, and when you don’t want it anymore you have it back. You’ll never own the car and that seems to be a positive selling piont to it.

I collect classic cars. I have them because they are irreplaceable. I wouldn’t want to rent them. Same goes for old planes and steam locomotives. They’re a piece of heritage and history. Nostalgia.

Maybe CDs are going the same way? Ultimately we end up renting everything and ownership is seen as backward or materialistic?

If Roon integrated with Spotify, I would purchase instantly.

On trial at the moment, and tidal is complete garbage compared to Spotify when it comes to algorithms, music discovery, app maturity for on the road etc.

If I want lossless 24/96 albums etc. I buy and rip, other stuff thats just general easy listenting music, spotify is 100x better than tidal due to convenience and algorithms as flac is not important for non critical listening (in which case you buy and rip anyway)

Not certain cars are the best analogy as the main reason people ‘rent’ is there complete unaffordability to buy outright. They want the latest and companies make it look easy to possess (Not Own, only in their mind they think they own it). The real cost comes as a shock down the line.

Music is so much more affordable to own although it isn’t cheap, but then again, if you’re bleeding all your money on a car you can’t even afford music.
Perhaps that’s the price we pay for wanting it all now… ironically, we have nothing…
Thoughts…

1 Like

I agree. The car analogy was more “this is happening in diverse things such as cars”. Closer to streaming music would be something like Netflix, which is interesting because it is a streaming service where I don’t think the talent gets screwed. Not because of anything Netflix or others have done - just the industry they are in.

I think that the “rental” model seems to be increasingly popular with some generations. Almost desirable. Maybe it is fantastic manipulation by society where ownership is going to be unaffordable so we will say that rental is good. Or it’s consumers who expect to have access to the latest and greatest of everything now.

You’re right. Cars are like fashion - they have a lifespan of desirability and we want to own the newest fashions. Music is similar. I think increasingly people don’t feel a connection to an artist or album in the same way as before. A new artist comes along, a new album - it gets airtime and “I want to play it when I want it”. It’ll get played heavily for a month and then never listened to again.

Maybe that’s a challenge Roon faces too and why the focus on hardware. Roon lets you discover hidden gems in your library - the forgotten ones. But discovery with streaming is “I want to discover the next new thing” not “I want to discover things I have forgotten about”. That’s almost seen as “living in the past”. I think the folks with big libraries are more akin to me with cars. I love the heritage and the history. “How did we arrive here?”. Ditto music. I like listening to ACDC and hearing the guitar and thinking “that’s fantastic blues…”. Generationally I think we are moving more to the “live in the now”. Disregard the past. Don’t think of the future.

Sorry. Travelling so it has been a rambling one. The summary is “changing attitudes to ownership and access to things”

2 Likes

Well I would like the Moon on a stick, but I am not likely to get it.

But if you don’t ask you don’t get… A Chinese aerospace company wants to launch a “fake moon” so you may yet get your wish.

In February, I will be 72. And my Roon sub is up for annual renewable. A lifetime sub sounds great, but I am not sure it is the most financially efficient for me. :grinning:

1 Like

@Mike_Rife Any longer than 4 years, and it may be transferable. Lifetime usually mean product lifetime, not yours :wink:

Well, if you don’t think you will reach 77, then stick to the annual subscription. I’ll be 70 next January, and I only need to reach 73 before the investment will have paid off…

1 Like

Mike,

I’m only 65 so I’m a little behind you on the curve. I just purchased my first Roon subscription in May of this year and I chose annual over lifetime even though lifetime would probably have been better for me. The reason I chose annual was I believe it’s better for Roon to have a continuing revenue stream from me. And what’s better for Roon is better for me since I want them to thrive and continue to improve the product.

If I make it to 80 and am still using Roon I’ll have spent an extra $1,300 or so at current prices, not much over 15 years.

Tim

2 Likes

I do hope to make it to 77, but I am placing a bet based on probability, not possibility. With luck, I will still be rockin’ five years from now, and I will be happy to make the annual renewal!

1 Like

I’m a lifetime subscriber. Tidal hi-fi is essential to my Roon experience. When I bought my sub I was more concerned that Roon might not last than about the longevity of Tidal. These days it’s the other way around. I realized a lifetime sub was a gamble, and at this stage I’m close to breaking even. I don’t think Roon owes me anything because I’m an adult who made an adult, calculated decision. I could have chosen an annual sub. I’m happy with my decision, and Roon has already given me enough joy to justify my expense.
By the way, Qobuz is not a solution for all of us should Tidal fail. People such as me live in countries where Qobuz is not sold, nor is likely to be available any time soon.

2 Likes

Anyone know if a lifetime Roon is transferable (another esoteric path :slight_smile: )? I acknowledge the reality of it; I’m asking about legality.

I was planning on taking my subscription with me to the afterlife.

Anyone know who to contact to find out if they have WiFi there?

3 Likes

I read somewhere about “a wired universe.”

1 Like

The microwave for a few seconds makes better art IMO… just sayin’ :smile: LOL

Probably in WIRED magazine.

Not obsolete maybe

I have zero physical media these days, I have been digital for at least 8 years A Kindle for my 60th birthday started the rot

I have a large local library , so I view Tidal as icing on the cake, I couldn’t personally conceive of depending on a third party solely for my music and video source
, I suppose I am of that age.

Roon is simply the best looking audio library software, take its features as they come, I personally am not too happy with Classical coverage but I muddle through until it’s fixed.

I use Tidal and Netflix extensively

Just my 2 p

Mike