Has Roon stated their intentions for what they would do if TIDAL were to go out-of-business

Which labels are missing from Tidal that are represented by Apple music? I’m genuinely interested as I find claims for library sizes to be moot if they haven’t got your favourite artists. Both Tidal and Apple Music claim to hold >50m tracks.

I kind of understand the clamour for Qobuz because of the lean toward jazz and classical.

My personal use-case is using Roon to put a Spotify-like user experience on the poor Tidal library management. In my early days of streaming (before I had equipment that was good enough to tell the difference), I used Spotify. What I missed when considering switching to Tidal was being able to add an album to my library and have it show up also under Artists. I also wanted to save albums but sometimes exclude tracks. Roon was my answer to make Tidal work like Spotify. Roon also added the multi-device capability similar to Spotify. If Tidal worked like Spotify, I would have had no reason to seek out Roon. For me, without Tidal, Roon does nothing for me. I don’t have a library of owned music (although I do have a large number of excellent vinyl records).

However, once I joined the Roon community, I stumbled upon HQPlayer, which further enhances my use of Tidal.

Just my 2 cents worth from Canada (where Qobuz isn’t coming to for a while).

2 Likes

Google “Banting” or LCHF , it really works

Mike

Beg to differ. No more Tidal integration or failing that no integration with another streaming service and I’m dumping Roon. I don’t think I will be the only one to leave. The fact that there is just the one streaming partner is already an annoyance in itself because it limits me in my choices.

I don’t like being limited in my choices. I don’t like to be drawn into a semi closed ecosystem such as Roon is becoming. For me Roon is an add-on. I don’t like add-ons to limit me to certain hardware options like only being able to stream to either “Roon-ready” devices or else being forced into incorporating “bridges” (read IT hardware not designed for hifi playback) into my AV system.

An add-on should be just that: something to simplify life, not something that bit by bit tries push itself to the foreground.

Note to all community members: this post is not intended as trolling. I am not trying to incite a shouting match, I am only stating the way I use and regard Roon. I am very aware that many community member do center their listening habits around Roon and I do not wish to denigrate this. You should however be aware that there are also people like me who do not put Roon at the center of their listening habits and who just use Roon as a utility. These people -like myself- also pay for Roon.

I use Roon to manage all the different forms of music (except vinyl, which is significant) I play (through a PS Audio Dreamplayer or DAC, an Oppo 205 and from my 15 TB NAS) or stream (hi-res Tidal primarily). The lifetime membership was a no brainer and if Tidal goes away, the way the world is headed, something will replace it just as good. A smLl price to pay in the overall scheme. I import new content into my system (live FLAC recordings, new Grateful Dead remastered box sets, DSD recordings, etc.) using Media Monkey. There have been a few hick-ups along the way, it really happy with having all the options.

That is obvious. The point I was making was that Roon will survive. As will Tidal in some form. We do need to put this is perspective. Tidal is in no more trouble than any of the other streaming services. Any partner is a risk, getting multiple partners is the most stable option.

2 Likes

On roon’s www page is says: Roon looks at your music and finds photos, bios, reviews, lyrics, and concert dates, and makes connections between artists, composers, performers, conductors, and producers.

It says “your” music not “someone elses music” you’re entitled to listed to since havening licenced it currently.

But I like it to have the ability to turn such services on or off inside roon. There could be more of these since Tidal doesn’t fit me personally. Perhaps we see Qobuz some day.

And yet the blurb goes on to say something in the vein of : “and not only your own music, but Tidal too” so you definitely dropped the ball there.

Roon makes some very bold boasts in their marketing blurb but consistently fails to deliver, which is a major pont of irritation for me. The so called “connections” usually lead nowhere or point to an obscure appearance of one sideman or other without linking to a follow-up or else it is so blatantly general that a random Google search turns up better and more detailed information.

The one thing that generally works is the bio/album review feature that might (or might) not offe up some interesting leads, provided the names are properly hyperlinked which they aren’t in many cases. And this is a feature Roon gets from an outside source.

Consider me not impressed and feeling bamboozled by the marketing blurb.

So all in all Roon’s business model grates with me.

I can’t shake the feeling that I’m paying for something that promises much and delivers very little.

So the initial question in this thread remains valid: what will Roon do for the customers for whom the only redeeming quality of Roon is that it acts as a passable interface for music streaming? Or does Roon think it doesn’t need clients like me, in which case I would like to know this too because my budget is not limitless.

The thing is, they do a free trial for people to asses, seems a little late to complain if you didn’t like the trial why buy in? But now your here, I am sure Roon appreciate your feedback.
For myself, I find the data links fine. A lot of my music has little beyond basic data and so I input what I need. The perfect solution to all this does not exist but it’s great to see Roon moving forward… I’m enjoying the journey…

3 Likes

I´m lifetime member and mostly stream. If someday Roon lost its streaming capabilities, I would think I gambled and lost :sunglasses:

This makes me wonder why you continue to use Roon since you feel bamboozled and it delivers very little. Since all you care about is Tidal, why not save your money and just use Tidal’s app and interface?

5 Likes

I went for lifetime and only have tried Tidal with Roon but for 95% of time I’ve used it for my own library only. Tidal integration is nice but not necessary if you have a decent size music library of your own. You get most of the benefits of Roon without streaming also.

I use Spotify when streaming and mostly on mobile. I’d feel stupid to pay for two streaming services and currently Spotify offers much better user experience with very good suggestions/recommendations.

The risk here is stating our own version of the truth and extrapolating this on to the rest of the user base. 10 minutes on this forum is enough to tell anyone that Roon’s core value proposition is different for different people.

Hence my small but significant edit of your post.

4 Likes

Oh I’m sorry, I thought it was quite obvious that I’m stating my own opinion here but obviously it wasn’t. Should’ve added “IMO” before my reply I guess.

1 Like

I thunk that ‘risk averse’ would take the lifetime subscription!

1 Like

Good point. I should have said what risk he’s most averse to.

Tidal Schmidal, I can’t understand why this thread is getting so much attention, lol.

Clearly Tidal integration is one of many features in Roon’s rich tapestry. Clearly it’s a deal maker for some and should it be gone, and no replacement exist, then those punters will be reconsidering their subscriptions. But I would think for the vast majority of Roon users the lack of Tidal would be an “oh darn, but (Roon) life goes on” moment.

As to Roon’s commenting on what they would do if Tidal were to go pop, why should they? They are clearly working on a Qobuz solution, and what could they comment on if Tidal were to go pop…“Erm…we’re as gutted as you guys… but what are you gonna do?”

All other stuff is really pre-sour grapes for those who are worried about losing Tidal. Music still goes on, get to the CD bins or bargain download sites, there’s loads of options out there for collecting music cheaply and even more rewardingly, outside of Tidal streaming.

1 Like

I do agree that a trip to the record store is a lot more of an event than clicking the “favorite” icon in Tidal. Then you can stop for a taco on the way home!

3 Likes

For me, Roon is an excellent and beautiful way to collate, catalogue and play my record collection. Period. I have no interest in Tidal so, personally speaking, its absence would detract not one jot from what Roon so capably does.

2 Likes

The issue isn’t just tidal going away but also when the next big thing comes along. Qobuz e.g… If it’s a decent improvement then it’s the same issue of losing playlists and ratings etc. I got burned that way when i moved from itunes self managed to spotify and then to tidal. Now i keep the majority local in 16/44.1 (ripped from CD, digitally bought). The effort i put into Roon ratings for local files i hope lasts many many years. Cheers