Has Roon stated their intentions for what they would do if TIDAL were to go out-of-business

Whilst I have not read all the posts in this thread, I think the basic premise here is that you buy a software license based upon what functionality it provides today, not what capabilities it may or may not have in the (unknown) future.

What happens if Tidal goes t1ts up? - you won’t get to use Tidal anymore, that’s pretty obvious. Will you get any kind of refund or credit?..no, because the T&C’s will (I presume) have made it very clear that Roon have no contractual obligation to provide a Tidal service.

This sentiment has expressed several times, but I don’t quite understand why it’s relevant here. If anything, I think it bolsters the argument that at least for a lifetime subscription, it’s reasonable to assume that since the product offer streaming service functionality TODAY, then I should have a reasonable expectation the same functionality will be there tomorrow. Right? Isn’t this the point you are making above RE: “buy a software license based upon what functionality it provides today.”

Yeah, I sure do hate reading all that fine print. :grin:

1 Like

Absolutely, as long as Tidal is still functioning, I agree that it is perfectly reasonable for you to to expect Roon to continue to support it. I am sure that their T&Cs (life’s too short to read them) will state that this is not a contractual commitment. Whilst we don’t read these T&C’s, this is the bread & butter of the matter and the basis upon which you chose to buy a subscription or not. i.e it’s not what you or I “think” is fair or reasonable, it’s what their contractual obligation to you is. If you don’t agree with the T&C’s, fine, don’t pay.

The elephant in the Roon here is (see what I did there) that Tidal’s future existence is totally outside of the control of Roon. It’s like buying a petrol car today and then complaining to VW in 20 years time that you can’t buy petrol any more. VW still support your cars ability to run on petrol, it’s just there isn’t any, which is not VWs fault.

2 Likes

Or perhaps like saying to the salesman when your out on a test drive for a new VW “I’m ready to pull the trigger on this but the possibility of the lack of petrol in 20 years is a bit of a dealbreaker, what’s VW got to say about it?” - :grin:

Easy: Who can predict the future? All we can say is that gasoline (Tidal) is available today.

1 Like

VW would probably suggest that you buy one of their super “polar bear friendly” diesel engines today (cough cough) whilst they work on making their range of cars fully electric, resulting in Tesla becoming irrelevant (which is a plausible scenario).

1 Like

I think the real Elephant in the room is the possibility that smaller full range providers like Tidal and Qobuz will go out of business or get bought out by one of the large providers leaving Roon with no full range providers to work with.

I saw some statistics recently that indicated that 8 providers had 86% of the streaming market. Tidal and Qobuz were lumped in with everyone else in the remaining 14%. The global providers listed were Spotify (36%), Apple Music (19%), Amazon (12%), Deezer (3%) and Google (3%). The country specific providers listed were Tencent Music (China, 8%), Pandora (USA, 3%) and MeION (South Korea, 2%).

Of the 8 only Deezer looks like it might be a potential partner for Roon and with only a 3% market share it may not be big enough to escape the same fate as Tidal and Qobuz.

Tim

If I was out on a test drive today, and the media was publishing reports that petrol might be running out any day, you can bet I’d be asking the salesperson for some assurance that VW had a plan B to keep this car running! :grin:

I think if I were reading reports of the impending demise of petrol, I’d probably be looking to invest my hard earned money in a different fuel source rather than asking a car manufacturer what they would propose to do about the demise of a petrol. It would be like saying to Linn “I’d like to buy one of your fabulously expensive turntables but can you guarantee the future of vinyl records”. It’s up to the buyer to decide which way the wind is blowing.

The original question was “Has Roon stated their intentions for what they would do if TIDAL were to go out-of-business, with respect to license holders?”

The answer (I believe) is nothing. You have no contractual entitlement to play Tidal music via Roon. If that;s a problem for you, either hedge and buy an annual license or walk away.

haha, i think we’d just be heading to the bike store instead :slight_smile:

Maybe the analogy was not so good.

I have been in contact with someone at Qobuz USA, and asked him about integration with Roon. Although he stated that that was a secret topic at present, he later said that he thought I would be very happy with the result. I read that as heavily implying that Roon-Qobuz is in the works, and in or approaching the home stretch.

1 Like

… is it my imagination or is my Tidal subscription still active?

1 Like

I think you will need to expand on the problem here.